Rec"on*cile` (-s?l`), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Reconciled (-s?ld`); p. pr. & vb. n. Reconciling.] [F. r'econcilier, L. reconciliare; pref. re- re- + conciliare to bring together, to unite. See Conciliate.]

1.

To cause to be friendly again; to conciliate anew; to restore to friendship; to bring back to harmony; to cause to be no longer at variance; as, to reconcile persons who have quarreled.

Propitious now and reconciled by prayer. Dryden.

The church [if defiled] is interdicted till it be reconciled [i.e., restored to sanctity] by the bishop. Chaucer.

We pray you . . . be ye reconciled to God. 2 Cor. v. 20.

2.

To bring to acquiescence, content, or quiet submission; as, to reconcile one's self to affictions.

3.

To make consistent or congruous; to bring to agreement or suitableness; -- followed by with or to.

The great men among the ancients understood how to reconcile manual labor with affairs of state. Locke.

Some figures monstrous and misshaped appear, Considered singly, or beheld too near; Which, but proportioned to their light or place, Due distance reconciles to form and grace. Pope.

4.

To adjust; to settle; as, to reconcile differences.

Syn. -- To reunite; conciliate; placate; propitiate; pacify; appease.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rec"on*cile`, v. i.

To become reconciled.

[Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.