A 1948 thriller about murder as an intellectual exercise, directed and produced by Alfred Hitchcock.

Rope is based upon a 1929 one-act British stage play (Rope's End by Patrick Hamilton), which is in turn a sensationalization of the 1923-1924 Leopold and Loeb murder case.

Influenced by a flippant academic theory about murder, propounded by their favorite prep school teacher Rupert (James Stewart), Brandon (John Dall) and Philip (Farley Granger) consider themselves 'superior' human beings, which means they can commit murder and not get caught. To prove their superiority, they murder David Kentley, one of their school chums, just for the hell of it. Not considering this enough of a challenge, they then invite everyone over to a dinner party to celebrate: The victim's father (Sir Cedric Hardwicke), Professor Rupert, the victim's former girlfriend. Although the body is not in the closet, several other things are.

This was Alfred Hitchcock's first film in the role of producer. He used an experimental filming technique to make Rope, making it appear that the entire movie was shot in one sequence. This was probably to give it the same feel as a one-act stage play. However, Hitchcock never used the technique again.

Although it's considered Hitchcock's 'weakest' film, Rope is incredibly good.
"Rope!" cried Sam, talking wildly to himself in his excitement and relief. "Well, if I don't deserve to be hung on the end of one as a warning to numbskulls! You're nowt but a ninnyhammer, Sam Gamgee: that's what the Gaffer said to me often enough, it being a word of his. Rope!" -Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

The rope is about twenty feet long, blue and white candy cane striped. Heavy-duty enough for any job I will ever use it for and then some, it now hangs from a shelf bracket in my room. I looks rather out of place and forlorn in my bedroom. Somehow the rope doesn't seem quite right with the rest of my room. Filled with piles of books, pictures of proms and friends, my laptop computer, and art supplies, my room seems to rebell against the rope hanging in it.

I received the length of rope as a graduation present along with the previous quote from a friend of mine. The quote, handwritten by my friend, hangs in my room, ready to be shown to those that are baffled by the rope. I don't really say much. I show them the quote, explaining that it was a graduation present. Somehow the rope's meaning to me can't be described in words. How does one go about explaining something they only feel? I usually receive a weird smile or grin, as we quickly move on to something else.

It was the most creative graduation present I recieved. Simple and practical, it also holds a lot of meaning. It is a constant reminder of his friendship and a link to our shared joy of Tolkien. I also see it as a symbol that all my friends, him include, are there when I need them, ready to toss me that length of 'rope' and pull me out of the whirlpools of life. The rope looking so out of place in my room, also represents all those times that I too have felt out of place and will again feel out of place in life. We will not all end up doing what we plan on doing with our lives. The rope did not choose it's location, just as I didn't choose it, but here we are, together for life. Life is full of examples of chance, luck, and fate.

We can not all be lengths of rope used to tie up a boat. Some of use must be the ropes that sit in the trunk of a car for years, just incase the car ends up in the ditch on an icy day. Some of us must be that rope that is hung on a nail in the garage, waiting for the various and sundry tasks it will preform. Other will used to hang a tire swing in an old oak tree. Some of use will be that rope used year after year as a family moves time and time again. Others worse off, will end up as the length of rope used to hang a person in an act of hatred. Life is not always pretty. Life is not always what we expect. We do not always get to choose what becomes of the circumstances surrounding our life. It is our job in life to be the best piece of rope we can be. Whatever our path in life, we must make sure to never come unravelled, unwound. We must make the best of whatever our job in life may be.

I'm not really sure if I see the rope the same way my friend saw it to me when he gave it to me. Perhaps he just thought of the practical uses for a rope, or saw it as an interesting gift. But maybe that is the beauty of the gift, that it can mean so many different things to so many different people.

As I leave for college in the fall, the rope will find its way to a box and move with me. It will again hang in a location not typical of rope and will again bring strange looks and questions. The rope is not for other people, though. It is for me, a constant reminder of all the rope means to me.


If anyone can give me a page number, etc. for the quote above I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Rope is the most common type of bacterial bread spoilage, caused by bacteria of the genus Bacillus. It is becoming less common with the proliferation of food preservatives.

Rope is named after the soft, mushy texture of infected bread, which will form little 'ropes' of dough when pressed together and pulled apart. Ropey bread smells sweet, often being described as smelling like pineapple or melon, sometimes with overtones of old cheese. It causes the bread to appear molted, and become soft and sticky.

Rope is most commonly caused by the strains Bacillus subtilis and Bacillus mesentericus, but it can also be caused by B. licheniformis, B. megaterium, B. cereus, and perhaps other strains. The Bacillus bacteria occur in many places in nature; B. subtilis lives on grains, while B. mesentericus lives on potatoes and other starchy plants. These and other strains are also commonly present in compost, manure, and rotting gunk of all types. B. subtilis and B. licheniformis may sometimes produce enough toxins to cause food poisoning, although this has not been shown with other strains of Bacillus.

Bacillus is a tough bacterium, and it is not killed in the baking process; while the surface temperature of baking bread is enough to kill off almost anything (around to 400 degrees Fahrenheit), the center of bread hovers near the boiling point of water, and does not quite get to the point of sterilization. The rope germinates when the bread cools from baking, and starts to feed on the protein and starches in the bread. Within a few days the rope infection will become apparent, and eventually the bread will be rendered inedible.

Rope enters a bakery in shipments flour, and may spread to stores of sugar or yeast. Because it is not killed by baking, it can be very hard to eliminate once it gets a foothold. An infected bakery may need to be steam cleaned or treated with special chemicals to prevent the bacteria from spreading. Fortunately modern food management strategies and copious preservatives have gotten rope infection under control. Calcium propionate in particular is effective at preventing rope.

Rope is traditionally a summer problem, as the bacteria grows best in warm, wet conditions. Of course, bakeries tend to be warm, wet places, so it could often become a year-round problem. Traditionally the growth of rope has been inhibited by the addition of vinegar to bread (at a ratio of about one pound of vinegar per 100 pounds of flour), or by baking drier loafs, which denies rope of the moisture it needs to thrive. These days more subtle preservatives are preferred.

Infected food supplies were once a serious problem; during World War I America's food supply was threatened by a rope outbreak in the summer of 1917. These days it is still a problem in equatorial countries, particularly poorer countries, although even developed countries like South Africa have to battle rope outbreaks.

Rope was first described by Belgian botanist Emile Laurent in 1884; no doubt it existed before then, but we have no record of it. In 1906 E.J. Watkins identified Bacillus as the causative agent. In places and times where bread was eaten quickly or preserved by being baked in dry loaves (such as hard tack), rope may not have had a chance to form. It is possible that rope is largely a result of our decadent modern lifestyle, a problem only to people who bake large, moist loaves.

Rope (?), n. [AS. rap; akin to D. reep, G. reif ring hoop, Icel. reip rope, Sw. rep, Dan. reb, reeb Goth. skaudaraip latchet.]

1.

A large, stout cord, usually one not less than an inch in circumference, made of strands twisted or braided together. It differs from cord, line, and string, only in its size. See Cordage.

2.

A row or string consisting of a number of things united, as by braiding, twining, etc.; as, a rope of onions.

3. pl.

The small intestines; as, the ropes of birds.

Rope ladder, a ladder made of ropes. -- Rope mat., a mat made of cordage, or strands of old rope. -- Rope of sand, something of no cohession or fiber; a feeble union or tie; something not to be relied upon. -- Rope pump, a pump in which a rapidly running endless rope raises water by the momentum communicated to the water by its adhesion to the rope. -- Rope transmission Mach., a method of transmitting power, as between distant places, by means of endless ropes running over grooved pulleys. -- Rope's end, a piece of rope; especially, one used as a lash in inflicting punishment. -- To give one rope, to give one liberty or license; to let one go at will uncheked.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rope (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Roped (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Roping.]

To be formed into rope; to draw out or extend into a filament or thread, as by means of any glutinous or adhesive quality.

Let us not hang like ropingicicles Upon our houses' thatch. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rope, v. t.

1.

To bind, fasten, or tie with a rope or cord; as, to rope a bale of goods.

Hence: --

2.

To connect or fasten together, as a party of mountain climbers, with a rope.

3.

To partition, separate, or divide off, by means of a rope, so as to include or exclude something; as, to rope in, or rope off, a plot of ground; to rope out a crowd.

4.

To lasso (a steer, horse).

[Colloq. U.S.]

5.

To draw, as with a rope; to entice; to inveigle; to decoy; as, to rope in customers or voters.

[Slang, U.S.]

6.

To prevent from winning (as a horse), by pulling or curbing.

[Racing Slang, Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.