The concept of four separate seasons (winter, spring, summer, and fall) is exclusive to the temperate regions. As you go nearer to the polar regions, winter grows longer and longer, summer disappears, and spring and fall merge into one shortened period until you get one season all year round - extreme cold.

Similarly, as one approaches the tropics, winter disappears, and fall and spring merge into one long, slightly cooler season. In the tropics, there are but two types of weather - the hot season and the rainy season.

These aren't true seasons - while April, May, June and July are the height of the summer (in the Northern hemisphere) there are still days of occasional (and welcome) rain. Similarly, while October, Novemember and December is the rainy season, it is still extremely hot. Most people just call it the monsoon season since the rains come with the shifting of the trade winds and the arrival of the typhoons.

The seasons are a result of Earth’s axis of rotation being tilted 23.5 degrees with respect to its orbital plane. This means that as the Earth travels around its orbit of the Sun the Northern hemisphere is at times closer to the Sun than at other times of the year. As the Earth orbits on a tilted axis when the Northern hemisphere is closer to the Sun the Southern hemisphere is further away and vice-versa which results in the seasons occurring at opposite times on the year in each hemisphere.

Summer occurs when the tilt it towards the Sun and Winter occurs when the tilt is away from the Sun. Autumn and Spring occur during the passage between these two points. It is interesting to note that the hottest temperatures in the Summer usually fall around a month or so after the point at which the tilt causes a hemisphere to be closest to the Sun. This happens because the Earth and its atmosphere can store a large amount of heat, the oceans being particularly effective heat sinks. This captured heat is then dissipated later in the year.

TV series are often divided into seasons - however, in the UK, they are called series. Many confusions arise between terminology of this type, including:

  • US "season" = UK "series"
  • US "series" = UK "show" or "series"
  • US "show" (when not used for its British meaning) = UK/US "episode"

The term "season", when it is used in the UK, is usually used either:
  1. when the TV series in question is American, or
  2. for disambiguation purposes, e.g. the classic episodes of Doctor Who are season 1-26, but new episodes (after the revamp) start at series 1, which is season 27.

Sea"son (?), n. [OE. sesoun, F. saison, properly, the sowing time, fr. L. satio a sowing, a planting, fr. serere, satum, to sow, plant; akin to E. sow, v., to scatter, as seed.]

1.

One of the divisions of the year, marked by alternations in the length of day and night, or by distinct conditions of temperature, moisture, etc., caused mainly by the relative position of the earth with respect to the sun. In the north temperate zone, four seasons, namely, spring, summer, autumn, and winter, are generally recognized. Some parts of the world have three seasons, -- the dry, the rainy, and the cold; other parts have but two, -- the dry and the rainy.

The several seasons of the year in their beauty. Addison.

2.

Hence, a period of time, especially as regards its fitness for anything contemplated or done; a suitable or convenient time; proper conjuncture; as, the season for planting; the season for rest.

The season, prime for sweetest scents and airs. Milton.

3.

A period of time not very long; a while; a time.

Thou shalt be blind, not seeing the sun for a season. Acts xiii. 11.

4.

That which gives relish; seasoning.

[Obs.]

You lack the season of all natures, sleep. Shak.

In season, in good time, or sufficiently early for the purpose. -- Out of season, beyond or out of the proper time of the usual or appointed time.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sea"son, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Seasoned (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Seasoning.]

1.

To render suitable or appropriate; to prepare; to fit.

He is fit and seasoned for his passage. Shak.

2.

To fit for any use by time or habit; to habituate; to accustom; to inure; to ripen; to mature; as, to season one to a climate.

3.

Hence, to prepare by drying or hardening, or removal of natural juices; as, to season timber.

4.

To fit for taste; to render palatable; to give zest or relish to; to spice; as, to season food.

5.

Hence, to fit for enjoyment; to render agrecable.

You season still with sports your serious hours. Dryden.

The proper use of wit is to season conversation. Tillotson.

6.

To qualify by admixture; to moderate; to temper.

"When mercy seasons justice."

Shak.

7.

To imbue; to tinge or taint.

"Who by his tutor being seasoned with the love of the truth."

Fuller.

Season their younger years with prudent and pious principles. Jer. Taylor.

8.

To copulate with; to impregnate.

[R.]

Holland.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sea"son (?), v. i.

1.

To become mature; to grow fit for use; to become adapted to a climate.

2.

To become dry and hard, by the escape of the natural juices, or by being penetrated with other substance; as, timber seasons in the sun.

3.

To give token; to savor.

[Obs.]

Beau. & Fl.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.