On the final episode of the first season of Survivor (AKA Survivor: Borneo) on CBS, each member of the jury was allowed to ask a question of the two remaining Survivors to help them in their decision. The jury was made up of contestants who had already been voted out of the game. Susan Hawk, a 38-year old truck driver who made made it to the final four, binged on food and made herself ill the day before this episode was taped. On the day of the taping, fueled by coffee and cigarettes, she discarded her prepared speech thanking her family and impromptu, said these words:
I have no questions. I have statements. Rich, you're an arrogant, pompous, human being. But I admire your frankness with it. You have worked hard to get where you're at and you started working way before you come to the island. So with my work ethic background, I give credit that to you. But on the other hand, your inability to admit your failures without going into a whining speech makes you a loser in life.

Kelly, the raft persona queen. You did get stomped on, on national TV by a city boy that never swam, let alone been in a woods or jungle or rowed a boat in his life. You sucked on that game.

I was your friend at the beginning of this, really thinking that you were a true friend. I was willing to be sitting there and put you next to me. At that time you were sweeter than me. I'm not a very openly nice person. I'm just frank, forward, and tell you the way it is. To have you sit next to me, and me lose $900,000 just to stomp on somebody like this.

As the game wore on and the two tribes merged, you lied to me, which showed me the true person you are. You're two faced and manipulative to get anywhere you are at in life. That's why you fail all the time. So at that point in the game, I decided to go out to my alliance with my family and just hold my dignity and values in check and hoping that I hadn't lost too many of them and play the game as long as possible and hang in there as long as possible.

But Kelly. Go back a couple of times when Jeff said to you, 'What goes around, comes around.' It's here. You will not get my vote. My vote will go to Richard. And I hope that is the one vote that makes you lose the money. If it's not, so be it. I'll shake your hand and go on from here.

But if I would ever pass you along in life and you are laying there dying of thirst, I would not give you a drink of water. I would let the vultures take you and do whatever they want with you with no ill regrets.

I plead to the jury tonight to think a little bit of the island we have been on . This island is full of, pretty much, only two things - snakes and rats. And in the end of Mother Nature, we have Richard The Snake, who knowingly went after prey; and Kelly, who turned into the rat that ran around like rats do on this island, trying to run from the snake. I believe we owe it to the island spirits we have come to know to let it end in the way that Mother Nature intended: For the snake to eat the rat.

Sources:
Joan Whitely, "Susan Hawk seeks her next adventure in Las Vegas." Las Vegas Review-Journal. 17 July 2001. <http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2001/Jul-17-Tue-2001/living/16485172.html> (14 October 2003)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.