Granny Pam's Tatie Oggy

This recipe came into our family by way of a recipe exchange. To be honest, no one remembers how it all started, but we can just about recall how Nora, our next-door-but-three neighbour, would pass on a recipe from her family in return for one from ours. Sadly, Nora has since passed away so I can't go back and ask her where the recipe originated or where the name came from. Granny Pam asked me to include in the node a request: if anyone can throw any light on the 'oggy' in the recipe's name, please do /msg me so I can let her know.

This is a great light lunch or midweek dinner, and as it is an all-in-one-pot affair, it needs no accompaniment. As with most of mine and Granny Pam's recipes, this requires minimal effort to prepare, is easy to the point of being almost foolproof, cheap and extremely tasty. What more could you want?

Recipe serves four. Measurements in Imperial. But that doesn't have to be a problem for you modern metric types. Help is at hand: Everything Kitchen Conversion Table

Ingredients:

4 medium potatoes
10-12oz strong cooking cheese (recommendation: a mixture of Red Leicester and Mature Cheddar)
2 medium onions
1lb streaky bacon

Preparation:

Peel, slice and steam the potatoes for 10 minutes. While they are cooking, slice the onions and grate the cheese. Put half the onion in the bottom of a large ovenproof casserole dish, then add a third of the part-cooked potatoes in a layer, followed by half of the cheese. Repeat. The last of the potatoes then go on and should be entirely covered by the bacon, taking care to overlap the rashers as the bacon will shrink as it cooks. Seasoning may be added between layers, but be careful with the salt as both the cheese and the bacon contain a considerable amount of salt already.
Bake in a moderate oven for about 40 to 45 minutes until the potatoes are cooked (stab with a sharp knife to test) and the bacon crispy.

Enjoy!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.