Many moons ago, when I was a but a wee bairn, my parents decided my elder sister was sufficiently mature and trustworthy for them to go away for the weekend, leaving me, a pre-teen, in my sister's capable hands. Well, we all learn from our mistakes. But that is most definitely Another Story. So, on their weekend away in Stratford-upon-Avon, my parents sampled this humble but exceedingly tasty dish. Mum says it was made with pork chops rather than the tenderloin she decided to use when she experimented at home, and was topped with fresh breadcrumbs. The general consensus in my family is that the dish is so pale that the golden breadcrumbs do give it some welcome colour. However, they do not add in a positive way to either the taste or the texture. So here I present you with the upmarket and breadcrumb-free version of the recipe.

Granny Pam's Cider-Baked Pork

Serves 4. Measurements in Imperial, please consult the Everything Kitchen Conversion Table for metric equivalents.

Equipment:

Large ovenproof casserole dish with lid (if you don't possess such a thing, use a pyrex bowl and cover with tin foil)

Ingredients:

1½ lb tenderloin of pork
2 medium onions
2 medium cooking apples
½ pint dry cider

Preparation:

Slice the onions and layer them on the base of the casserole dish.
Then core and slice the apples and place them on top of the onion.
Cut the pork into generous ½" medallions. Arrange the pork on top and pour the cider over the top.
Put the lid on or cover with tin foil.
Bake for 30-40 minutes in a medium oven (about Gas Mark 5), taking off the lid/foil for the last ten minutes.

Granny Pam's hints and suggestions:

This dish doesn't need any seasoning! Don't try and jazz it up - that would just be gilding the lily.
Serve with sauté potatoes, broccoli or fresh peas and carrots.
If the sauce is too thin, thicken it with cornflour.
When you take the lid off, especially if you used tin foil, be careful not to scald your hands on the steam.

Enjoy!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.