A Phish song from the 'way-back-when' days, originally appearing on The White Tape as a grossly underdeveloped 76 second transitional track. It has since evolved into one of the more famous and popular songs of their catalog, and has become a staple at live performances, usually drawn out to about a 15-minute length (with a minute or so of silence in the first half, called 'the silence jam' - very popular, nobody knows why).

It's a very upbeat and mostly instrumental song as a live performance, with only one lyrical/vocal section. It's sung A Capella after a 22-measure intro, and consists of six lyrics:

Divided sky, the wind blows high,
Divided sky, the wind blows high

As far as an interpretation of the lyrics, this is a chant as a part of an ancient Gamehendge ritual. In the ritual, three specific chosen lizards eat a root harvested at the base of an enormous mountain. The root is believed to contain the spirit of Icculus, who lives at the top of the mountain from which the root was harvested. The lizards approach a large rhombus in the middle of a vast green field at sunset, mount the rhombus, and praise Icculus in song. The homage that is paid to him is through the chant, "Divided sky, the wind blows high." This is one of at least seven Gamehendge-referencing songs not appearing on The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday.

A much more developed version of The Divided Sky was released on Junta in 1989, and it has also appeared on several live albums including:

Live in Brooklyn
Hampton Comes Alive
At the Roxy
The Helping Phriendly Disc
, Vol. 2
At least 6 volumes of the Live Phish series

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.