My parents had gone out for the night, and the house was left alone to me and my sister. Nothing unusual, it happened all the time.

It was just a normal day.

"Hey Chris," my sister said, peering through my doorway. "I'm gonna go out with my friends tonight... Don't tell mom and dad."

I could have ended it there.

"Sure" I said, thinking, what could happen anyway? She was a perfectly good driver and wasn't some person who would run out getting drunk. So, what the heck? There's no point in fretting about it.

Guilt

I sat at my computer, staring at the screen, playing around a few games here and there. It got kind of late. I glanced at the clock. It was 1:00 AM. My parents were due home any minute. I called my sister on her cell phone. Dead line.

Worry

My parents didn't come home for another hour. They finally got home, and I was very worried. Still, what could have happened? Maybe she stayed out a bit later than she should have and didn't catch the time. My parents got home.

Fright

"Where is your sister?" my mother shouted, seeing that she was nowhere to be found. I just digged my foot into the ground. I bit my lips and said "I don't know."

Lies..

I went to bed later that night. That morning I woke up to a mother and father sobbing in the living room.

My sister was dead.

She had been killed by a drunk driving down the street, mere minutes from our house. Her best friend got critically injured, though lived, but not without losing a leg.

Guilt

I still can't look back and feel as if it wasn't my fault... If only I hadn't let her go. I could have stopped it... Yet I didn't.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.