My daughter is an introverted thinker. Sometimes this is extremely entertaining.

When she was in first grade she came home part way through the year and said, "I want to get my hair cut like a boy." "Short?" I said. "Yes," she said. I didn't think about it too much but made an appointment. I thought it was because she has that fine tangly hair that is really difficult to comb.

On the way to the salon, my intuition kicked in and I realized that something was up. She was in that deep abstraction mode, thinking.
I said, "Why do you want to get your hair cut like a boy?"
Her reply, "The boys chase the girls on the playground."
Hmmmm.
"Do they chase you?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"They are not sure if I am a boy or a girl."
"You don't want them to be sure?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"There is another class that gets to recess before us. They get the tire swing. They have a club that is all boys. They won't let us use the tire swing."
"You are going to fool them. Okay." I sat back to see how she would proceed with whatever plan she had regarding the tire swing.

She had her hair cut very short. The next morning she chose hand-me-downs from her brother. A rugby shirt, a navy blue sweatshirt, flannel lined thick jeans and his old hiking boots. She had never worn any of them before and her usual preference was pink. I took her to school. She went into her class and just went to stand by some other children, not saying anything at all. They commented on her haircut.

I went to the principal and described my daughter's plan, mostly because I thought it was quite brilliant. He said, "Oh, we have to do something about this." I said, "I wasn't trying to get anyone to interfere." He said, "No, but we have a playground policy. They are allowed to have clubs, but they are not allowed to exclude anyone. In other words, no 'boys only' clubs. We will hold an assembly to remind them."

So for a seven year old introverted thinker on the playground, a problem required careful thought and a plan, which she then carried out. I liked the approach of challenging gender. As far as I could tell it did not occur to her to ask for help. I do wonder at times what other plans she is implementing.

She did get to use the tire swing. Then she went back to wearing pink.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.