Vic"ar (?), n. [OE. vicar, viker, vicair, F. vicaire, fr. L. vicarius. See Vicarious.]

1.

One deputed or authorized to perform the functions of another; a substitute in office; a deputy.

[R.]

2. Eng. Eccl.Law

The incumbent of an appropriated benefice.

⇒ The distinction between a parson [or rector] and vicar is this: The parson has, for the most part, the whole right to the ecclesiastical dues in his parish; but a vicar has generally an appropriator over him, entitled to the best part of the profits, to whom he is in fact perpetual curate with a standing salary.

Burrill.

Apostolic vicar, ∨ Vicar apostolic. R. C. Ch. (a) A bishop to whom the Roman pontiff delegates a portion of his jurisdiction. (b) Any ecclesiastic acting under a papal brief, commissioned to exercise episcopal authority. (c) A titular bishop in a country where there is no episcopal see, or where the succession has been interrupted. -- Vicar forane. [Cf. LL. foraneus situated outside of the episcopal city, rural. See Vicar, and Foreign.] R. C. Ch. A dignitary or parish priest appointed by a bishop to exercise a limited jurisdiction in a particular town or district of a diocese. Addis & Arnold. -- Vicar-general. (a) Ch. of Eng. The deputy of the Archbishop of Canterbury or York, in whose court the bishops of the province are confirmed. Encyc. Brit. (b) R. C. Ch. An assistant to a bishop in the discharge of his official functions. -- Vicar of Jesus Christ R. C. Ch., the pope as representing Christ on earth.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.