In Australia we have a thing with feral animals.

Rabbits, deer, camels, buffalo and the monumentally ugly cane toads are a mere sample of the many foreign creatures that have got loose in the Australian bush and found it perfectly suited for an environmentally catastrophic population explosion.

Perhaps it’s telling that the name with which we have dubbed one of our more unkempt and maligned human tribes has been the 'feral'.

Undoubtedly the invasion situation is one in which Australia has taken more from the world than it has given back.

Plants excluded, one of the few exceptions to this rule is the humble wallaby.

Granted, very few of these small, hopping creatures have managed to colonize lands far from home, but a tiny number of them have, and that’s better than nothing.

Locations follow- making the reasonable assumption that these creatures behave the same way in northern climes as they do in their home down under, optimal viewing times tend to be around dusk or dawn.

SCOTLAND

Loch Lomond. On a privately owned island in the middle of this Scottish lake the Red Necked Rock Wallabies that were introduced years ago have gone wild. Rumor has it that a sub-group escaped across the ice in winter and have begun to populate the local country side.

ENGLAND

The Peak District in Derbyshire has long been home to another population of Red Necked Rock Wallabies that are descended from a small number which escaped from a zoo. Unfortunately though, according to some sources, none have been sighted since 2000.

HAWAII

In a single valley on the island of Oahu exists a population of Brush Tailed Rock Wallabies. Apparently the descendents of more zoo escapees they are still bouncing about today.

References

www.earlham.edu/~biol/hawaii/mammals.htm

www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A786477

www.loch-lomond.net/islands/inchconnachan.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.