Zed also means the number zero in several countries including Canada.

I had a physics professor once from India he kept saying stuff like "From zed to 2Pi" and we all thought it was some new constant we hadn't learned yet.

Zed was the rapist police officer in the mid-nineties Quentin Tarrantino classic, Pulp Fiction. He arrives at his buddy's pawn shop to find Marcellus Wallace (Ving Rhames) and Bruce Willis's character (who's name alludes me now) tied up in the basement. As Zed brutally sodomizes Marcellus, Bruce Willis escapes and kills the pawn shop owner. Zed's fate is left in the hands of the crazed Marcellus Wallace, who has already shot him in the dick with a sawed off shotgun before the scene has ended.

Bruce Willis's character uses Zed's motorcycle to escape and when his annoying whiny French girlfriend asks who Zed is, he responds: "Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
In Finland Zed is Sonera's "mobile portal" for their own cell phone customers (actually, Zed is one of the Sonera's daughter corporations).

They offer all the basic stuff that most other cellphone junk providers offer: logos, ring tones, picture SMS messages, and so on.

In my opinion, it's waste of time, but this sort of stuff apparently sells these days - not that Sonera would actually make profit from Zed anyway.

Zed (?), n. [F., probably through It. zeta, fr. L. zeta. See Zeta.]

The letter Z; -- called also zee, and formerly izzard.

"Zed, thou unnecessary letter!"

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.