Anal beads are a wonderfully fun toy for those that are interested in anal sex and other such anal pleasures. Anal beads consist of a number of plastic beads (I believe you can also find glass ones, but really who wants glass in their bum) on a nylon string. The string is knotted every couple of inches so that the beads stay separated. Following the beads is several inches of string. I'm assuming this is a safety measure to help keep people from losing beads in their bums and having to make a rather embarassing trip to the ER. At the end of the string of beads there is a plastic ring to aid in the pulling out process. The beads come in varying sizes as well. It's advisable to start with the smaller ones and work your way up. Here are the instructions that came with a set of anal beads that I received for Valentine's Day:

Lightly lubricate beads or anus. Insert beads. At moment of climax, pull beads out slowly with the ring. Correct withdrawal speed will be found with experience. Beads should be washed after use.

Of course as with all other sexual acts, you and your partner will find when and how you like to use your anal beads. Be creative, practice good hygiene and most importantly have fun.

Anal beads are often shiny and come in all sorts of eye-popping colors, but these particular jewels are supposed to be worn where the sun don't shine. Anal beads look like a string of pearls or beads - sometimes very large beads - which are meant to be inserted into the anal cavity. Putting them in is only part of the fun, since the real payoff is pulling them out, particularly at the height of orgasm. Doing this will create a series of strong waves of stimulation in the anal area which if they coincide with the muscular contractions of the climax, hopefully results in a mind-blowingly enhanced orgasm.

The anal beads are often placed in the anus one at a time during foreplay or in the early stages of sex and then pulled out one at a time during orgasm. Personally, the most exciting part is the eroticism of inserting them and then the expectation of the intensity of the orgasm as I pull them out. Sometimes you can also leave them in for a couple of orgasms and save it for a later one. You will have to try it for yourself to find out which removal speed works best for you, but personally I pull them out quite slowly, about one bead every 5 seconds. This gives a new orgasmic wave for each bead.

In their most basic form, anal beads are just a set of plastic beads on a string, usually with a pull ring used for extraction. While these are inexpensive, this type of anal beads have some drawbacks. They are somewhat difficult to clean and especially the string part can get quite nasty, especially at the knots and where the string meets the bead, where "stuff" can get trapped. If you find strands of beads that have been coated entirely in latex or silicone, that will solve that problem. You can find beads made of metal for added weight (and effect?), or beads with internal weights that move around when they're inside you. Like most other sex toys, anal beads come in vibrating and non-vibrating variants, but in this case the vibrating kind more often than not is the one described with weights inside and not battery-powered.

The other type of anal beads are molded as one piece of vinyl, silicone, rubber or jelly. They have the shape like balls connected by a flexible rod, or stacked in a row with each bead touching the next. This makes them much easier to clean, and also easier to insert and extract. Also, depending on their rigidity and length, they have the potential to penetrate deeper up the anal cavity. Some of this type also come augmented with battery-powered vibration features. Other variations include butt-plugs and dildos that are shaped to look like stacked spheres, or are curvy enough to simulate the anal bead effect, giving a re(ct)al rollercoaster ride of anal stimulation.

Anal beads come in a variety of sizes, but they should be large enough to create a distinct impression as they pass through the sphincter muscles. An average set has beads where the beads range from 2 to 5 centimetres in diameter at the max. Larger sizes are available (7 to 8 centimetres in diameter) but I wouldn't recommend them unless the person getting the beads inserted into their ass is very experienced with anal play. Many sets are graduated, beginning with smaller beads and increasing in size. This type of anal beads is well suited for beginners, since you can start with the first few beads and work your way up to the larger ones as your anal passage is trained to accept larger objects.

Putting Them In
When you are inserting something up your ass or someone else's, lubrication, patience, communication and common sense are important. Lube your asshole liberally (or your partner's, if you're playing with someone) and warm up by inserting a finger or two to get the anal muscles primed and open. Lubricate the beads and insert them, taking your time. This might be tricky when everything, including your fingers, is slippery with lube. Grip the string with thumb and finger just below the bead, pulling it tight to hold the bead steady. Place the bead at the anal opening and gently press against it.
The receiving insertee can bear down slightly to relax the anal sphincter. As the asshole opens, continue pressing gently. Let the ass close around and "swallow" the bead. If you are using string type beads, you can push it further inside with a finger if you want, or just have the next bead inserted push it further.
Important: If your anal bead set does not have a handle or ring on the outside end, be sure to leave at least one bead outside the asshole to grip for removal.
Try playing with the first one or two beads by popping them in and out of the sphincter a few times. Once the beads are fully inserted, you can carry on with other activities like intercourse, masturbation or whatever (I like to have vibrating anal beads inserted while I am washing dishes or just tidying the house ;) ).

Pulling Them Out
The beads can be pulled out before orgasm as part of the build up to climaxing, but most people like to pull the beads out in one go at the moment of climax, if possible. When the time is ripe, grip the handle or end of the beads and pull firmly and steadily (don't use a yanking motion as this can hurt). Keep on pulling as the beads come out one by one. The orgasmic contractions of the rectum should help to force them out. As the beads come out of the rectum, the anal sphincter is forced to open and shut again and again, creating wave after wave of stimulation.

Tips for anal beads playing:

  • Use plenty of lube.
  • Don't rush to get the whole string of beads up your ass; start slowly by using one or two beads.
  • Your beads should really have a ring or handle on the end, if not leave one or two beads outside the asshole so you can pull them out.
  • For maximum effect, pull the beads out during orgasm.
  • Tell your partner to give you a warning right before he or she climaxes so you can start pulling.
  • Extraction is made easier and more effective by pushing with the anal and pelvic muscles, as if you are going to the bathroom.
  • Clean your anal beads thoroughly after use according to manufacturer directions


Personal anal beads tip: Like I mentioned, I am not a big fan of anal beads with string. Obviously some people must love those or else they wouldn't sell so many, but I don't. I would highly recommend you getting anal beads of the one-piece rod type.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.