vomit.

"And lo, Abernathe did partake of the tainted clams, and from his mouth did issue forth thunderous chunder for the better part of a week."

--Bullshit 13:7

Also a term used for a certain Snow condition.
For example:
There is a snowstorm on sunday night that drops 14" of snow
Monday stays very cold, allowing snow to stay light
Monday night brings slightly warmer temperatures, causing 2 inches of heavy sleet-like snow to fall.
Now, on tuesday, temperatures drop again, causing the wetter snow on top to become frozen over, like a crust.
Tuesday afternoon rolls around, and you find a patch of hill in the woods that is untracked. While riding down, the snow breaks into large chunks, while allowing the nose to submarine into the softer, underlying snow.
That is chunder

Chunder, is also a term for any type of race that involves drinking large amounts of beer at certain intervals. Most chunders are chunder miles, but others have been run.

The structure of a chunder mile is as follows:

  1. While 9 meters behind the starting line on a 400-meter track (this ensures a true mile, 1609 m), all participants (or chunderers, from here on) are holding a can, of beer, cider, or lager.
  2. The gun, or other signaling device is fired
  3. At the gun, all chunderers drink as fast as possible.
  4. Upon finishing the can, they run a lap around the track (roughly 1/4 mile).
  5. When the chunderers reach the finish line, they may not pass it until they have finished a second serving of their respective beverage. The second serving must be consumed in a 20-meter "cushion" area before the start/finish line.
  6. The race continues, running a lap and drinking, until the fourth lap is completed. Chunderers do not need to drink a fifth beer to cross the finish line.
    Rules for the competition are as follows (but may vary by region):
  • No physical contact, other than that normally associated with a 1600m race, is allowed, i.e. no slapping, punching, or violent shoving.
  • One may not begin to run again until finishing their beer.
  • Shotgunning, or any other method of speeding up the pouring speed of the beer is not allowed. One may drink straight out of a normally opened can, and only in that manner.
  • Trash talk is encouraged.
  • Vomiting is allowed, but is not encouraged. (note: some groups sentence an extra lap, with an extra beer, to those who vomit before the 1600m mark)
  • Female chunderers are allowed to start the race with a lap, not a beer, thus reducing the consumption by one beer.
  • Beer must be 5% alcohol by volume, and in at least 355mL or 12 oz. cans. This rule is only enforced in official races, and isn't hard and fast in the amateur circuit, however.

It should be noted that chunders are usually informal events, but that competition is great. The Chunder Mile world record is 5:12, and is held by Andrew Muir. Most respectable runners might say that that mile time isn't too impressive, but keep in mind that he also had to chug 4 beers and run a mile in this time. The last lap with all that fluid in his stomach also. Truly a feat that will stand the test of time.

I've gleaned this information from a number of informal sources (running companions, ancient magazine articles, etc.) www.beermile.com is a wonderful clearinghouse of chunder results from around the country. Conduct your own race and post the results, for the rest of the country to enjoy.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.