Tactic employed in deathmatch games. Considered a semi-advanced technique, it causes you to move in a tight circle around a stationary opponent, moving faster than your hapless foe can follow. The bonus is at all times you have your wepon aimed at the centre of this circle, and therefore your opponent.

When deployed effectively this technique will cause your opponent to be reduced to a bloody pile of gibbage without you taking any damage at all. It's also quite comical when an opponent unfamilliar with the technique starts spinning around in circles on the spot trying to shoot you.

It is executed with the mouse and keyboard by looking at your opponent's feet, holding down one of the "strafe" keys (step left, or step right), and simultaneously moving the mouse in the opposite direction. This takes some practice to perfect.

The counters are simple:

  • Run away!
  • If you must be a sitting duck, stop turning to follow your opponent, fire a rocket at the floor as they pass before you on the next rotation.
  • Whip out the BFG and give em hell!

This is me in a deathmatch game:

I incarnate on a red spot. I look around. How large the world is! How colourful, like this person running tow--

*SPLAT*

I reincarnate on a red spot. Knowing the distastefulness of inhabitants, I pick up a handy semi-automatic machine gun sitting nearby. Carefully creeping throug the remains of this post-apocalyptic world, I sneak up behind the same person who killed me--I'm sure, because he's wearing the same clothes, and is also heaving up and down like he has asthma. Ready? NOW! I pounce in front of him and press the trigger! What? No bulle--

*SPLAT*

I reincarnate on a red spot. Knowing the suspicious nature of heavy weaponry, I pick up a handy shotgun, and some shells lying nearby. I cock it at the ready, and secrete myself behind a crate. Aha! The SAME person! Deja vu? I jump out, with my weapon ready, and STRAFE across the room! I am a master of tactics! I bump into another person. "Oh, I beg your par--"

*SPLAT*

Even Jesus didn't rise from the dead three times.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.