Ambitious AI project at MIT, under tutelage of Rodney Brooks, Cog is a humanoid robot that is learning to use the body parts he's gradually being built with.

Think Johnny 5, for real. Except Rodney's keeping him only waist-and-up. He's got stereoscopic vision which gives him depth perception which is handy when he flails his arms around.

Cog (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Cogged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Cogging.] [Cf. W. coegio to make void, to beceive, from coeg empty, vain, foolish. Cf. Coax, v. t.]

1.

To seduce, or draw away, by adulation, artifice, or falsehood; to wheedle; to cozen; to cheat.

[R.]

I'll . . . cog their hearts from them. Shak.

2.

To obtrude or thrust in, by falsehood or deception; as, to cog in a word; to palm off.

[R.]

Fustian tragedies . . . have, by concerted applauses, been cogged upon the town for masterpieces. J. Dennis

To cog a die, to load so as to direct its fall; to cheat in playing dice. Swift.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cog (?), v. i.

To deceive; to cheat; to play false; to lie; to wheedle; to cajole.

For guineas in other men's breeches, Your gamesters will palm and will cog. Swift.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cog, n.

A trick or deception; a falsehood.

Wm. Watson.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cog, n. [Cf. Sw. kugge a cog, or W. cocos the cogs of a wheel.]

1. Mech.

A tooth, cam, or catch for imparting or receiving motion, as on a gear wheel, or a lifter or wiper on a shaft; originally, a separate piece of wood set in a mortise in the face of a wheel.

2. Carp. (a)

A kind of tenon on the end of a joist, received into a notch in a bearing timber, and resting flush with its upper surface.

(b)

A tenon in a scarf joint; a coak.

Knight.

3. Mining.

One of the rough pillars of stone or coal left to support the roof of a mine.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cog, v. t.

To furnish with a cog or cogs.

Cogged breath sound Auscultation, a form of interrupted respiration, in which the interruptions are very even, three or four to each inspiration.

Quain.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cog, n. [OE. cogge; cf. D. kog, Icel. kuggr Cf. Cock a boat.]

A small fishing boat.

Ham. Nav. Encyc.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.