Drake, in reference to dragon kind, is most literally, and originally, by all references an obsolete word for dragon. This is of course understandable given that dragon comes from the greek drakon. The nature of drakes seems to be a matter of contention, the two primary reputed forms and positions are at times totally contradictory.

Drake n.

1. A greater dragon, or ancestral dragon, possessing no wings, four legs, and a long body. A fire drake. Elemental dragon. (traditional?)
2. A lesser dragon, a smaller version of a classical dragon, baring a resemblance to a winged crocodile, often in a transitional form towards a wyvern. (modern popular)

Drake (?), n. [Akin to LG. drake, OHG. antrache, anetrecho, G. enterich, Icel. andriki, Dan. andrik, OSw. andrak, andrage, masc., and fr. AS. ened, fem., duck; akin to D. eend, G. ente, Icel. ond, Dan. and, Sw. and, Lith. antis, L. anas, Gr. (for ), and perh. Skr. ati a water fowl. . In English the first part of the word was lost. The ending is akin to E. rich. Cf. Gulaund.]

1.

The male of the duck kind.

2. [Cf. Dragon fly, under Dragon.]

The drake fly.

The drake will mount steeple height into the air. Walton.

Drake fly, a kind of fly, sometimes used in angling.

The dark drake fly, good in August. Walton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Drake, n. [AS. draca dragon, L. draco. See Dragon.]

1.

A dragon.

[Obs.]

Beowulf resolves to kill the drake. J. A. Harrison (Beowulf).

2.

A small piece of artillery.

[Obs.]

Two or three shots, made at them by a couple of drakes, made them stagger. Clarendon.

 

© Webster 1913.


Drake, n. [Cf. F. dravik, W. drewg, darnel, cockle, etc.]

Wild oats, brome grass, or darnel grass; -- called also drawk, dravick, and drank.

[Prov. Eng.]

Dr. Prior.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.