see go out and its various conjugations. when you dump someone, you cease to go out with them. this also is known as breaking up, although breaking up tends to have more in the way of agreement over the matter.

generally, you dump someone when they do something really bad, such as cheating on you. not that dumping the person should be the default response.

when you dump someone, chances are that he/she will go through hell for a few weeks. if you break up, both of you will go through hell for a while; the duration probably varies more (i wouldn't know, fortunately).

just say no to dumping people. break up instead. if you break up, there's the minute chance that you won't hate each other forever.

1. An ideal site for leaving murder victims, stripped stolen cars, etc. 2. A railroad or subway station, or any place where crowds leave a common carrier, as pickpockets' field of operations. 3. A house or buildings, especially a run-down structure. 4. A buyer of stolen goods. 5. Inmates term of contempt for any penal establishment. 6. Any low-grade establishment; a joint.

- american underworld dictionary - 1950
In respect of paddling, dump refers to capsizing one's canoe. The end result being a boat full of water and the paddler becoming a swimmer.

If the paddler is able to bring the canoe upright again without leaveing the seat or saddle, it is not a dump, it is a roll.

A dump in Ultimate Frisbee is a short, quick pass that usually loses yards, but resets the stall count and gives the offense a chance to get a throw off to the weak side. A dump throw is thrown because there is no one upfield who is open, and the stall count is getting higher, and a stall count of 10 is a turnover. Dump throws usually go up slightly weak side, because moving the disc to the weak side gives the offense a better chance of making a throw to the weak side, where it is easier for the receivers to get open.

Capital O has the disc. d's are defenders, o's are offense.

|							|
|							|
|		$					|
|			do				|
|		Od			*		|
|							|
|							|
|							|
|	strong side	stack		weak side	|


The offensive player without the disc can now cut toward the $ and get the disc. His defender will probably not be able to get a mark on immediately, so hopefully someone cutting from the front of the stack will be able to cut towards the * and get the disc, and then throw to receivers on the weak side, where it is easier to get open.
dumbed down = D = dumpster diving

dump n.

1. An undigested and voluminous mass of information about a problem or the state of a system, especially one routed to the slowest available output device (compare core dump), and most especially one consisting of hex or octal runes describing the byte-by-byte state of memory, mass storage, or some file. In elder days, debugging was generally done by `groveling over' a dump (see grovel); increasing use of high-level languages and interactive debuggers has made such tedium uncommon, and the term `dump' now has a faintly archaic flavor. 2. A backup. This usage is typical only at large timesharing installations.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

The near-standard *NIX backup utility, dating way back from Version 6 AT&T UNIX. It is capable of creating incremental backups (and note which files need to be backed up), splitting the backup across multiple backup tapes, and compress data. Splitting is done based on size calculation or end-of-tape signals.

The data is, unsurprisingly, restored with command called restore.

There is, however, some opposition to it - one of the critiques presented against it is the fact that it is tied to the underlying filesystem type.

Linus Torvalds notes¹ that it doesn't work properly in Linux 2.4 and probably will be working even worse in 2.5, says anyone who uses it is "playing Russian roulette with their backups", and says it was a "stupid program in the first place". (Which leaves us with tar and feather, similar open source tools, or perharps BRU?)

¹ http://old.lwn.net/2001/0503/a/lt-dump.php3

Dump is the one man project of James McNew, the bassist, keyboardist and occasional lead singer of Yo La Tengo. A few of his songs sound a lot like Yo La Tengo, but he possesses more breadth in terms of genre and he is not afraid to be too experimental. I guess he just wants to safely play with his geeky and unconventional musical tendencies as an extracurricular activity, away from the hegemony of the married members of the group he is third wheeling. He sings many low key pop songs, typical singer songwriter guitar pieces and then adds lo-fi experiments, or samples from obscure tunes to make them unpredictable. I should mention, there are a lot of covers; some are ok, some are good, and many of them are very genuine. In fact, his album That Skinny Motherfucker With the High Voice? is a compilation of songs written by the artist formerly known as "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince"

Though none of his albums could be classified as a masterpiece, McNew makes one of the most intimate sounds that I have ever listened. He lacks pretension, his sound is very expressive and he can get away with being out of tune. A lot of reviewers use the word charming to describe his music and I agree that it might be the good word to use but I would rather call his sound tender lo-fi. A kind that you should listen to with your bunny slippers on, milk and cookies on the side.

All his albums, except his latest release A Grown-Ass Man were recorded with a cassette deck in his Brooklyn apartment, by him. He also played all the instrumens and put the most huggable bunny cartoons on his album art.

Discography

1993 Superpowerless
1995  International Airport (EP)
1995 You and I (EP)
1995 I Can Hear Music
1997  Phantom Perspective/The Lie (EP)
1998 A Plea for Tenderness
1999 Women in Rock
2001 That Skinny Motherfucker With the High Voice?
2003 A Grown-Ass Man  

Dump (?), n. [See Dumpling.]

A thick, ill-shapen piece; a clumsy leaden counter used by boys in playing chuck farthing.

[Eng.]

Smart.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dump, n. [Cf. dial. Sw. dumpin melancholy, Dan.dump dull, low, D. dompig damp, G. dumpf damp, dull, gloomy, and E. damp, or rather perh. dump, v. t. Cf. Damp, or Dump, v. t.]

1.

A dull, gloomy state of the mind; sadness; melancholy; low spirits; despondency; ill humor; -- now used only in the plural.

March slowly on in solemn dump. Hudibras.

Doleful dumps the mind oppress. Shak.

I was musing in the midst of my dumps. Bunyan.

⇒ The ludicrous associations now attached to this word did not originally belong to it. "Holland's translation of Livy represents the Romans as being `in the dumps' after the battle of Cannae."

Trench.

2.

Absence of mind; revery.

Locke.

3.

A melancholy strain or tune in music; any tune.

[Obs.] "Tune a deploring dump." "Play me some merry dump."

Shak.

4.

An old kind of dance.

[Obs.]

Nares.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dump (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dumped (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Dumping.] [OE. dumpen to throw down, fall down, cf. Icel. dumpa to thump, Dan. dumpe to fall suddenly, rush, dial. Sw. dimpa to fall down plump. Cf. Dump sadness.]

1.

To knock heavily; to stump.

[Prov. Eng.]

Halliwell.

2.

To put or throw down with more or less of violence; hence, to unload from a cart by tilting it; as, to dump sand, coal, etc.

[U.S.]

Bartlett.

Dumping carcart, a railway car, or a cart, the body of which can be tilted to empty the contents; -- called also dump car, or dump cart.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dump, n.

1.

A car or boat for dumping refuse, etc.

2.

A ground or place for dumping ashes, refuse, etc.

3.

That which is dumped.

4. Mining

A pile of ore or rock.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.