An ice cream flavor. Highly recommended. Contains mint ice cream plus the same cookies from cookies and cream ice cream. Some varieties also contain the fudge from fudge royale ice cream.

1. A light unarmed scouting and liaison airplane used especially for helping to direct field-artillery fire.

2. Salvador Dali had a horror of grasshoppers (i.e., one of the orthopterous insects of the suborder Saltatoria that is characterized by an inchoate metamorphosis and a habit of engaging in migratory flights).

4. Movie: Beginning of the End (1957)
Starring Peter Graves, Peggy Castle, Morris Ankrum
Giant grasshoppers ravage their way through the backwoods of Illinois. Graves and his team of scientists try to stop them before they destroy Chicago. They figure out a plan for luring them into Lake Michigan, but if it fails, an A-bomb will be used to flatten the city. 35 mm.

4. from O'Reilly's DNS and BIND book:
Grasshoppers are found all over the globe. Of over 5000 species, 100 different grasshopper species are found in North America. Grasshoppers are greenish-brown, and range in length from a half inch to four inches with wingspans of up to six inches. Their bodies are divided into three section: the head, the thorax, and abdomen, with three pairs of legs and two pairs of wings.

Male grasshoppers use their hind legs and forewings to produce a "chirping" sound. Their hind legs have a ridge of small pegs that are rubbed across a hardened vein in the forewing, causing an audible vibration much like a bow being drawn across a string.

Grasshoppers are major crop pests, particularly when the collect in swarms. A single grasshopper can consume 30mg of food a day. In collection of 50 or more grasshoppers per square yard - a density often reached during grasshopper outbreaks - grasshoppers consume as much as a cow would per acre. In addition to consuming foliage, grasshoppers damage plants by attacking them at vulnerable points and causing the stems to break off.

The grasshopper is an unorthodox chess piece invented in 1912 by fairy chess pioneer and problem composer Thomas Dawson. It is probably the most commonly used fairy piece. It can move in any direction that a queen can, the difference being that the grasshopper must jump over exactly one piece and land on the square immediately behind it. The piece jumped over may be of either colour. If the landing square contains an enemy piece, it is of course captured by the grasshopper. Consider the skeleton position where White has just a grasshopper on a1, while Black has a king on h8 and pawn on g7. Then the black king is in check, and Black may escape check not only by moving the king but also by moving the pawn (since then the grasshopper, having nothing to jump over along the a1-h8 diagonal, would no longer be attacking the king). The same idea shows that it is possible to give check from a grasshopper without moving it! One need only interpose another piece adjacent to the enemy king, providing a "springboard" for the grasshopper and therefore causing it to attack the king.

The grasshopper is denoted by a G and represented graphically by an upside-down queen.

The classic grasshopper is a blend of with equal parts of each (most often 1oz or 3/4 oz or 22 - 30 ml for the metric people). Shake together with ice and strain into a glass. Most often this is done in a cocktail glass (6 oz) though the flute or champagne saucer has been seen. In paticularly generous bars the 8 - 10 oz old fashioned glass is is used.

This drink is often thought of as an after dinner drink providing much of the same flavor of that of a the green mints that sell for $0.05.

Variants upon the grasshopper include:

  • Substitute Coffee brandy for the Creme de Menthe (known as a Coffee Grasshopper)
  • Substitute 2 scoops of ice cream for the light cream (known as a Creamy Grasshopper or Frozen Grasshopper) Please note this no longer fits in the smaller glasses and a mason jar is suggested.
  • Substitute vodka for the Light cream (known as a Vodka Grasshopper)

The garnish for the grasshopper is often an Oreo cookie (thus adding the hint of chocolate to the concoction).

to the Everything Bartender

Some interesting grasshopper facts:

Grasshoppers can jump up over 500 times their own height, holding the worlds highest jumper record. They can jump forwards 20 times their own body length.

Grasshoppers have white blood.

Grasshoppers obtain oxygen through holes in their body that circulate air into their inner recesses. These pairs of breathing pores, called spiracles, branch out into tubes to ensure air can reach everywhere in the grasshopper's body.

The worlds longest grasshopper is ten inches long (order Orthoptera, species Pains Lubber/Homesteader).

Various kinds of flies will lay their eggs in or near grasshopper eggs. Upon hatching, they will eat the eggs of the grasshopper. Also, various flies lay their eggs right on/in the grasshopper. When these little buggers hatch, they begin to eat the grasshopper, killing it.

Five eyes. Yup. And two of those are compound eyes, consisting of thousands of single lenses (these eyes are the biggest and most visible). The others are small simple eyes, probably used to detect light, but no one really knows.

EAT GRASSHOPPERS!

100 grams of large grasshopper contains 20.6 grams of protein, 6.1 grams of fat, 35.2 milligrams of calcium, and 5 milligrams of iron. By weight, termites, grasshoppers, caterpillars, weevils, house flies and spiders are better sources of protein than beef, chicken, pork or lamb according to the Entomological Society of America. Also, insects are low in cholesterol and low in fat. Well then, what are we waiting for?

Grasshoppers are good for you! Our culture seems to think that eating bugs is bad, icky, and gross. But these things make a great snack! It’s fun for kids to go out and catch them and fun to learn to live with nature’s resources. Dried, they are an excellent source of protein. Or bake them whole in the oven with a bit of salt: grasshopper french fries! Be sure to remove the wings first, and the large hind legs (though these can be picked clean as well, carefully). Grasshopper fries (dry roasted insects): Place grasshoppers on a cookie sheet, salt and season to taste, and bake in a 200-degree oven for about 1 1/2 hours or until crispy. Other insects which would add crunch to this recipe include ants and crickets. Baked, fried, covered in chocolate, in cookies, pancakes, fudges, trail mix,


Sources:
http://www.ris.net/~lawnman/recipe.html
http://www.ris.net/~lawnman/hopfact.html
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2160.html
http://www.fulcrum-resources.com/html/bagging_bugs_exc.html

Grass"hop`per (?), n.

1. Zool.

Any jumping, orthopterous insect, of the families Acrididae and Locustidae. The species and genera are very numerous. The former family includes the Western grasshopper or locust (Caloptenus spretus), noted for the great extent of its ravages in the region beyond the Mississippi. In the Eastern United States the red-legged (Caloptenus femurrubrum and C. atlanis) are closely related species, but their ravages are less important. They are closely related to the migratory locusts of the Old World. See Locust.

<-- atlanis in original. Atlantis? -->

⇒ The meadow or green grasshoppers belong to the Locustidae. They have long antennae, large ovipositors, and stridulating organs at the base of the wings in the male. The European great green grasshopper (Locusta viridissima) belongs to this family. The common American green species mostly belong to Xiphidium, Orchelimum, and Conocephalus.

2.

In ordinary square or upright pianos of London make, the escapement lever or jack, so made that it can be taken out and replaced with the key; -- called also the hopper.

Grove.

Grasshopper engine, a steam engine having a working beam with its fulcrum at one end, the steam cylinder at the other end, and the connecting rod at an intermediate point. -- Grasshopper lobster Zool. a young lobster. [Local, U. S.] -- Grasshopper warbler Zool., cricket bird.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.