Hawk is also one of the better porno mags available today. It calls itself "the world's best hardcore teen sex magazine," and it's absolutely right: no other magazine offers such lovely women in such explicit poses. (LIVE young Girls, Hawk's sister magazine, often comes close but doesn't quite achieve the same heights, and Tight often contains hotter women but never shows penetration.)

Each issue of Hawk features 6 to 8 pictorials of young, cute girls. I use the word "cute" deliberately--you won't find the steamy porn queens of other magazines, nor will you see the painfully fake teens that plague such mags as Barely Legal. Instead, you'll be greeted with perky young lasses who smile sweetly as they caress their breasts or slide their panties aside to give you a glimpse of their treasures. Some solo pictorials are softcore, but most of them eventually ease into hardcore, so you'll be treated to the sight of a beautiful girl taking a young man to the hilt or slipping a dildo deep inside. Granted, the penetration pictorials aren't quite as explicit as those in Cheri, but they're excellent nonetheless.

As a bonus, Hawk also intersperses two special sections between the pictorials: Panty Raid shows a handful of closeups of women pulling down their pants or lifting up their skirts to reveal their undies, and Smoothies shows about a dozen crotch shots of women with fully shaved pubic hair. Overall, it's one of the top teen sex mags out there.

Pictorials: 6-8
Girls: young, natural, cute
Penetration: common; penis, dildo, sometimes tongue or finger
Lesbian: 0-2 per issue
Guy/Girl: 1-2 per issue
Group: rare
Fetish: occasional wet-and-messy/food pictorials
know_no_bounds's rating: * * * * *
"Hawk's magical." You need psychotherapy, he can do that. You need somebody's leg broken, he can do that. You need to know where there's a good restaurant, he can tell you. He does whatever he needs to be able to do, and he does it without any particular concern about larger issues. He's the eminently practical man, and he is what Spenser might have been had Spenser grown up a minority figure in a majority culture. - Robert B. Parker explaining Hawk to actor Shiek Mahmud-Bey

Hawk appears in most of the Spenser novels to serve as Spenser's dark reflection. He started out to be Spenser's adversary in Promised Land, a man as tough and imposing the hero himself, but working as an enforcer for a Boston crime boss. In later novels, he worked for or with Spenser, at first for money, then later out of a form of friendship. Hawk is a larger than life figure, always dressed in the height of fashion, from his tailored leather trenchcoats to his hand-stitched boots. He drives high-profile Jaguars, and his guns, usually a .44 Magnum revolver and sometimes a shotgun, are often referred to as artillery.

Hawk and Spenser are mirror images of each other in most ways. Both were boxers, where they first met fighting in the same venues. Both spent some time in the military, Spenser in the Army, Hawk in the Foreign Legion. Both have chosen to be at the top of very violent professions. However, where Spenser, with his emotional attachments to the world around him, can indulge in higher level moral judgements, Hawk has been forced to be far more practical in order to pull himself alone from the ghetto of his birth. He has been forced by circumstances to shed his emotions to refine himself into a finely tuned killing machine. He is completely self-sufficient, requiring nothing from his environment and giving nothing back.

For Hawk, the world around him is either interesting or uninteresting, amusing or not amusing. He doesn't enjoy killing, but neither does he dislike it. Pragmatic to the core, he will kill when it will solve a problem. Mercy won't stay his hand, only cold logic. This has put him at odds with Spenser on more than one occasion; Spenser's moral code only allows for killing as an extreme last resort, and for him looking the other way while Hawk takes care of it is tantamount to doing it himself. Hawk, on the other hand, feels that Spenser has far too many rules complicating his life, rules that may one day get the private eye killed.

In the Spenser: For Hire television series, Hawk was played (perfectly, in my mind) by Avery Brooks. His portrayal is what first got me interested in the Spenser novels, and upon reading them, I found that Parker's descriptions of Hawk fit the actor perfectly. And Brooks's deep, almost James Earl Jones deep, voice was ideal for the dialog. ABC tried to cash in on Hawk (and Brooks's) popularity with the spin-off series A Man Called Hawk, but the show was a dismal failure. Because of his "magical" nature, as Parker puts it, Hawk cannot be a stand-alone character. He does not, for example, have a home, and his emotionless persona does not lend itself to very many personal attachments. He basically exists only as we see him through Spenser's eyes, and all but discorporates when Spenser's not around. In A Catskill Eagle, Parker calls him a phantom, the "ghost who walks."

Brooks went on to play Hawk in the Spenser made for tv movies from Lifetime, and was succeeded by Shiek Mahmud-Bey in Small Vices and, surprisingly enough, Ernie Hudson in Walking Shadow. While they were not as close to the Hawk archetype as Avery Brooks was, both men did a good job with the role, primarily as a result of showing a real interest in how Robert Parker viewed the characters. The only real problem I saw with Ernie Hudson was that to this day I cannot look at him without seeing him in his Ghostbusters role. He's hopelessly typecast in my mind.

A complete list of Parker's Spenser novels can be found here.


Sources:
Robert B. Parker's Spenser novels
Bullets and Beer - http://www.mindspring.com/~boba4/
http://www.thrillingdetective.com/non_fiction/e001.html

Just a clarification of Webster's entry here.
  • The British hawk (Latin name accipiter) is very falcon-like in appearance and behaviour; with pointy wings and a long, narrow tail, it catches its prey in flight, using its speed.
  • The British buzzard (Latin name buteo) is a small eagle in appearance and behaviour; with large, broad wings and a short, wide, rounded tail, it slowly flaps or hovers, and circles at great height in search for small animals on the ground.

In America, on the other hand, "hawk" is a general word for a bird of prey, but usually refers to buteo birds, of which there are many species there.

Hawk (?), n. [OE. hauk (prob. fr. Icel.), havek, AS. hafoc, heafoc; akin to D. havik, OHG. habuh, G. habicht, Icel. haukr, Sw. hok, Dan. hog, prob. from the root of E. heave.] Zool.

One of numerous species and genera of rapacious birds of the family Falconidae. They differ from the true falcons in lacking the prominent tooth and notch of the bill, and in having shorter and less pointed wings. Many are of large size and grade into the eagles. Some, as the goshawk, were formerly trained like falcons. In a more general sense the word is not infrequently applied, also, to true falcons, as the sparrow hawk, pigeon hawk, duck hawk, and prairie hawk.

⇒ Among the common American species are the red-tailed hawk (Buteo borealis); the red-shouldered (B. lineatus); the broad-winged (B. Pennsylvanicus); the rough-legged (Archibuteo lagopus); the sharp-shinned Accipiter fuscus). See Fishhawk, Goshawk, Marsh hawk, under Marsh, Night hawk, under Night.

Bee hawk Zool., the honey buzzard. -- Eagle hawk. See under Eagle. -- Hawk eagle Zool., an Asiatic bird of the genus Spizaetus, or Limnaetus, intermediate between the hawks and eagles. There are several species. -- Hawk fly Zool., a voracious fly of the family Asilidae. See Hornet fly, under Hornet. -- Hawk moth. Zool. See Hawk moth, in the Vocabulary. -- Hawk owl. Zool. (a) A northern owl (Surnia ulula) of Europe and America. It flies by day, and in some respects resembles the hawks. (b) An owl of India (Ninox scutellatus). -- Hawk's bill Horology, the pawl for the rack, in the striking mechanism of a clock.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hawk (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Hawked (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Hawking.]

1.

To catch, or attempt to catch, birds by means of hawks trained for the purpose, and let loose on the prey; to practice falconry.

A falconer Henry is, when Emma hawks. Prior.

2.

To make an attack while on the wing; to soar and strike like a hawk; -- generally with at; as, to hawk at flies.

Dryden.

A falcon, towering in her pride of place, Was by a mousing owl hawked at and killed. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hawk, v. i. [W. hochi.]

To clear the throat with an audible sound by forcing an expiratory current of air through the narrow passage between the depressed soft palate and the root of the tongue, thus aiding in the removal of foreign substances.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hawk, v. t.

To raise by hawking, as phlegm.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hawk, n. [W. hoch.]

An effort to force up phlegm from the throat, accompanied with noise.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hawk, v. t. [Akin to D. hauker a hawker, G. hoken, hocken, to higgle, to retail, hoke, hoker, a higgler, huckster. See Huckster.]

To offer for sale by outcry in the street; to carry (merchandise) about from place to place for sale; to peddle; as, to hawk goods or pamphlets.

His works were hawked in every street. Swift.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hawk, n. Masonry

A small board, with a handle on the under side, to hold mortar.

Hawk boy, an attendant on a plasterer to supply him with mortar.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.