Lassi is a light, refreshing yoghurt drink from India. It's perfect for a hot day (or hot night).

Ingredients:

  1. 3/4 cup plain yoghurt
  2. 2 cups water
  3. 1/4 t salt

Instructions: Combine A, B and C in a blender or food processor and blend for 2-minutes or until smooth. Serve over crushed ice.

Variations:

Mmm...lassi. A lassi is indeed refreshing on a hot, humid day, and it goes wonderfully well with spicy foods; it cools the heat in your mouth so you can more thoroughly enjoy your next bite of food. The mango lassi is my favorite variation; it's the bright-orange drink that you sometimes see in Indian restaurants. Here's a good recipe:

  • 1 cup plain yoghurt
  • 1 cup mango pulp (take 2 ripe mangoes, peel them, and scrape the flesh off the large pit)
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar (or more if you like)

Blend until smooth. Now taste it. If it's too thick, you can blend in some ice to cool it down and thin it out. If you think it tastes too much like yoghurt, mix in some milk. If it's too sweet, add milk or yoghurt. Keep track of your additions so you'll know what to do next time. Serve cold, preferably over ice.

Other variants involve 1 cup strawberries, 1 cup chopped banana...you get the idea. Go on, try it!


Quick mango lassi

Oh so much Indian food being discussed in the catbox! This is a little easier to do at the drop of a hat than leighton's recipe as it doesn't contain fresh mangoes. Much as I adore fresh mangoes, this is a lot less messy.

Ingredients:

  • high quality mango nectar
  • high quality plain whole milk yogurt, I like Stoneyfield Farms Organic the best as the creamy sweet/tart of the yogurt just shines through the finished product.
  • honey or sugar
  • optional: ground cardamom (in Indian cooking, known as elachi), rosewater or sweetened rosewater syrup

Place about 2 parts mango nectar to one part yogurt in a vessel, a small pitcher works well depending on how many servings you are making. Add honey or sugar to taste, I use between 1 and 3 teaspoons for a single serving, and stir briskly to combine. Thin or thicken to taste with more mango nectar or yogurt. Top with a dash of cardamom and/or rosewater and then pour over a tall glass of ice to serve.

Personally, I like my yogurt to be very tangy for this. Not offensively sour, but with more character than most US yogurts that pander to timid palates. If you start with a high quality, active culture yogurt, this is easy enough to make happen. Simply leave your yogurt out overnight at room temperature. The live cultures will perk up and start doing their thing, resulting in a wonderfully assertive flavor. It's like sourdough, happy bacteria leads to happy yogurt. Oh, and, don't bother to refrigerate it prior to mixing up the lassi. The sugar or honey will mix in more readily if the yogurt isn't cold.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.