A BASIC command that loads a program (or a reasonably program-resembling object) to memory from disk or tape.

In Commodore basic, the syntax is LOAD "filename",primary,secondary, where primary generally says the device from where to load from (1 = tape drive, 8 = disk drive) if omitted, 1 is assumed (though C64 Executive defaulted on 8). secondary often has no intricate special meaning; in BASIC its existence just controls where the code is being load (see below for example).

Filenames may have wildcards * and ?. First that matches will be loaded.

Some handy commands for Commodore 64 and disk drive:

LOAD "$",8
Loads disk catalog to memory. (Just type LIST then to see what's on that disk.)
LOAD "*",8,1
Loads the last loaded program (or, if no files are previously loaded, the first program on catalog) to memory. (Tip: True Hackers try this command first when confronted with unfamiliar shell. =)
LOAD "name",8
Loads a BASIC program to memory starting from $0801.
LOAD "name",8,1
Loads a program to memory location specified by the file header - use this when loading machine code.

Plain LOAD will try to load the next file from tape.


Also, LOAD is the name of Kernal (sic) routine that loads the file. Here's an exaple of how to use it to load a file from disk to memory:


	;; Say that we read from disk drive
	LDA #$ff		; File no
	LDX #8			; Disk drive
	LDY #1			; Address number
	JSR SETLFS

	;; Say what file we want to read from file
	LDA FileNameLen
	LDX #<FileName
	LDY #>FileName
	JSR SETNAM

        ;; Load the file
	LDA #0			; 0 = load
	LDX #$FF		; Addr hibyte (irrelevant)
	LDY #$FF		; Addr lobyte (irrelevant)
	JSR LOAD

See SAVE. Also see 1541, LOAD "*",8,1, ",8" or ",8,1"? and LOAD"$",8

Load (?), n. [OE. lode load, way; properly the same word as lode, but confused with lade, load, v. See Lade, Lead, v., Lode.]

1.

A burden; that which is laid on or put in anything for conveyance; that which is borne or sustained; a weight; as, a heavy load.

He might such a load To town with his ass carry. Gower.

2.

The quantity which can be carried or drawn in some specified way; the contents of a cart, barrow, or vessel; that which will constitute a cargo; lading.

3.

That which burdens, oppresses, or grieves the mind or spirits; as, a load of care.

" A . . . load of guilt." Ray. " Our life's a load."

Dryden.

4.

A particular measure for certain articles, being as much as may be carried at one time by the conveyance commonly used for the article measured; as, a load of wood; a load of hay; specifically, five quarters.

5.

The charge of a firearm; as, a load of powder.

6.

Weight or violence of blows.

[Obs.]

Milton.

7. Mach.

The work done by a steam engine or other prime mover when working.

Load line, ∨ Load water line Naut., the line on the outside of a vessel indicating the depth to which it sinks in the water when loaded.

Syn. -- Burden; lading; weight; cargo. See Burden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Load, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Loaded; p. pr. & vb. n. Loading. Loaden is obsolete, and laden belongs to lade.]

1.

To lay a load or burden on or in, as on a horse or in a cart; to charge with a load, as a gun; to furnish with a lading or cargo, as a ship; hence, to add weight to, so as to oppress or embarrass; to heap upon.

I strive all in vain to load the cart. Gascoigne.

I have loaden me with many spoils. Shak.

Those honors deep and broad, wherewith Your majesty loads our house. Shak.

2.

To adulterate or drug; as, to load wine.

[Cant]

3.

To magnetize.

[Obs.]

Prior.

Loaded dice, dice with one side made heavier than the others, so that the number on the opposite side will come up oftenest.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.