Mew, the 151st pokemon, was the ultimate in game glitches. The goal of the game (besides catching them all) was to get this pokemon, and in the US version, you could not actually ever get it (normally). The idea was that if you got all of the other 150 pokemon, you would go to this certain building and boom, someone would give it to you. However, it did not work in the US version. Someone found a weird workaround with a pile of steps to get it, involving a glitched pokemon called MISSINGNO. There is of course turning to the dark side, and using the aide of our evil friend, the GameShark, but that is a whole moral discussion in itself.

They never created another revision of the game to fix the bug, and thus it has gone down in history. Perhaps the myth behind it all is what kept kids intrigued to make the 1999 holiday season as totally pokemon-ed as it were.

And to the comment above; yes, i don't care how "ky00t", it is, I still love it when my kitten makes a cute little mew for no reason.

Physiology
Mew is normally described as a pink cat-like creature, though its morphology is actually more like a jerboa. Mew's hair is very fine and can only be seen under a microscope. Mew has big hind legs like a rabbit, and short arms with three-fingered paws. Mew has triangle-shaped ears and baby-blue eyes. Mew is said to have the DNA of every single Pokémon contained within its body. It is often depicted as being an embryo or fetus.

Gender differences
Mew is a genderless Pokémon. However, many incorrectly assume it is female due to its coloring.

Special abilities
Mew's main abilities include turning invisible at will, creating force-fields of psychic energy, and being able to transform into any one of the other 648 species of Pokémon. Mew is capable of wielding every type of attack possible. It also has the ability to float in mid-air, in much the same fashion as Celebi and Jirachi. It has been seen to be able to swim underwater as well.

Behavior
In the anime and manga, Mew is a very curious and intelligent Pokémon that will only appear to someone with a pure heart. It loves playing around and swimming, and is known to act very childish at times, wanting to play childish games with those around it. It is attracted to lullabies and will try to stay as close to music as possible. All in all, Mew is known as a happy, playful and optimistic Pokémon, unlike its clone, Mewtwo. In the games, Mew is very generic personality-wise, but still retains playfulness and needs to be chased down on Faraway Island before it can be captured.

Sightings In-Universe
Reports found in the Burned Mansion found in Cinnabar Island in the Kanto region speak of expeditions of scientists, either independent or Team Rocket-funded which had sighted Mew in Guyana, South America, the place where its first sighting was reported. However, since Mew can either make itself invisible or transform itself into any other Pokémon, very few people have knowingly seen it, and it is called a mirage by most. Since many scientists believe that Mew is the ancestor of all Pokémon, and a number of extraterrestrial Pokémon have been discovered, it is possible that Mew could inhabit other areas of the universe, and whether it originates from Earth at all is debatable. Whether Mew is a unique Pokémon or a species of Pokémon is currently unknown.

Mew (?), n. [AS. mw, akin to D. meeuw, G. mowe, OHG. mh, Icel. mar.] Zool.

A gull, esp. the common British species (Larus canus); called also sea mew, maa, mar, mow, and cobb.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mew, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Mewed; p. pr. & vb. n. Mewing.] [OE. muen, F. muer, fr. L. mutare to change, fr. movere to move. See Move, and cf. Mew a cage, Molt.]

To shed or cast; to change; to molt; as, the hawk mewed his feathers.

Nine times the moon had mewed her horns. Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mew, v. i.

To cast the feathers; to molt; hence, to change; to put on a new appearance.

Now everything doth mew, And shifts his rustic winter robe. Turbervile.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mew, n. [OE. mue, F. mue change of feathers, scales, skin, the time or place when the change occurs, fr. muer to molt, mew, L. mutare to change. See 2d Mew.]

1.

A cage for hawks while mewing; a coop for fattening fowls; hence, any inclosure; a place of confinement or shelter; -- in the latter sense usually in the plural.

Full many a fat partrich had he in mewe. Chaucer.

Forthcoming from her darksome mew. Spenser.

Violets in their secret mews. Wordsworth.

2.

A stable or range of stables for horses; -- compound used in the plural, and so called from the royal stables in London, built on the site of the king's mews for hawks.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mew, v. t. [From Mew a cage.]

To shut up; to inclose; to confine, as in a cage or other inclosure.

More pity that the eagle should be mewed. Shak.

Close mewed in their sedans, for fear of air. Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mew, v. i. [Of imitative origin; cf. G. miauen.]

To cry as a cat.

[Written also meaw, meow.]

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mew, n.

The common cry of a cat.

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.