The "miniloader" program used to load Linux on DEC Alpha and MIPS computers.

On a PC, we normally use lilo for the same purpose.

Milo: 'malted food drink' - the company description is not far off, for it is a complete meal. the trick is to scoop 4 or 5 tablespoons of the stuff into a tall glass, then pour about half that amount of cold milk in. Stir slightly so that the milo itself is not completely dry and then just tuck in! Shove vast spoonfuls into your cakehole and lie still, basking in your own post-milo glow.
Note:
if you follow the chain of company ownership back, from the
company that invented milo, back to the main parent company, the result is... Sandoz Labs. :) Ok, admittedly, I dunno if Mr Hoffman invented Milo... but it was invented in the same lab complex as everyones favourite hallucenogenic was discovered.

Australian kids are all raised on Milo, along with Vegemite. FYI when you're in an Aussie supermarket, Milo comes packaged in a distinctive green tin. An extra-malt version also exists, in a browny-coloured tin.

Milo is best used in the following ways:

1. Hot Milo: Milk heated up in the microwave, or on the stove, the three-four teaspoons of Milo are mixed in. Leaves a lovely spotted froth. Purists use full-cream milk (I think Americans call it Vitamin-D milk), never the unleaded stuff, and NEVER should one use hot water. Nothing was worse than when you went to a friend's house as a kid, and his or her mum asked you if you'd like a hot Milo, and you got hot water with a little milk, AND SUGAR. Hideous.

2. Cold Milo - as in previous write-up. Usually results in the Milo milk moustache.

3. Milo on your Weet-Bix. Alternative to banana or sugar.

4. Milo on your ice-cream. Mmmmm perfect.

5. Milo milkshake. With lots of ice-cream, of course. Alternative is the banana/Milo combo, or Milo in your smoothie. The one time when fake or unleaded milk is allowed.

6. Milo bar, and Milo-the-drink, both manufactured goods produced by the same company. Great for when you need that Milo-fix-on-the-run.

(P.S. They're more granules than a powder anyway. The inventor mucked up when he was trying to make a food supplement, I think.)

(P.P.S. We have Ovaltine too - but I guess you're right, as Vegemite is to Marmite.)

In Europe you can get a version of "milo" made in France which is really just a hot chocolate drink. It completely dissolves and has no distinctive flavour. If you're lucky and know where to look, it is also possible to find two "tropical" versions of milo. Corner shops of many assortments carry Milo from Kenya or Nigeria which are quite similar to the Australasian version. The Nigerian edition is very crunchy, with big lumps and low on the dissolving factor. The Kenyan version is like the Milo I remember from my Australian childhood. It dissolves okay and flavours the milk whilst leaving a nice floaty crust to spoon out before you drink it. In fact, the Australian product seems to dissolve too well these days and I prefer the Kenyan version.

Milo was invented in the year 1934, in Sydney, by Thomas Mayne, a research chemist and food technologist in the employ of the Nestlé company.

Nestlé had been attempting to create a dry chocolate drink-product for several years when Mr Mayne invented the process of vacuum shelf drying, which extracts all moisture from a paste mixture to create a flat dry "cake". The cake is subsequently granularised to produce the famous chocolate energy drink that Australians love.

Milo is now offered for sale in its traditonal dry form, pre-mixed with milk in UHT blocks, pre-mixed with fresh chilled milk, mixed into chocolate bars to make a chunky crispy candy bar, and used to flavour ice cream for domestic tubs and retail ice-creams on a stick.

According to Nestlé corporate materials, Milo is now the number-one chocolate malt beverage brand on earth. 18 million cups of Milo are consumed world-wide every day.

The word "Milo" is derived from the legendary and ancient Roman athlete, Milon, who is said to have carried a 4 year old bullock around the Stadium in ancient Greece.

Milo contains the following nutrients:

The Australian manufacturing plant is at Smithtown, near the northern New South Wales country centre of Kempsey, on the Macleay River. That's not so far from the infamous Byron Bay, where "munchie" foods like spoonsful of dry Milo are very frequently enjoyed...

RESEARCH ADAPTED FROM NESTLE CORPORATE MATERIALS. CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, AND IF I AM, I'LL EAT A BUG

MILO is the name of a strength sports quarterly published by IronMind Enterprises, Inc. The full name is MILO: A Journal for Serious Strength Athletes.

The magazine focusses on strength sports such as World's Strongest Man, Highland Games and powerlifting. It also carries training advice for lifters of all levels. It is the polar opposite from the newstand muscle mags depicting steroid-enhanced clowns in shrunken-testicle-revealing posing trunks. This is about men and women who are actually, honestly strong.

Unfortunately, MILO is available by suscription only.

The name of the journal is taken from Milo of Crotona, a 6th century Greek athlete who was known for his great feats of strength. He is best remembered for carrying an ox across his shoulders through the stadium at Olympia.

AKA Milon

Ancient Greek wrestler from Croton (also Crotona, Kronton, or Kroton).

Milo’s birth date and year are not known – he first comes to light at the 60th Olympiad, in 540 BCE, where he won the boy’s wrestling championship. Eight years later, he came back, and from the 62nd Olympiad to the 66th he was the champion wrestler. Beside the Olympiad, he also participated in and won six Pythian games. He won a total of 32 wrestling championships.

Milo is best known for his immense strength and endurance, of which there are many tales. I cannot say how many are true and unexaggerated.

Tales of Strength and Dexterity:

  • As a youth, Milo is said to have carried a newborn ox on his shoulders. Milo continued this exercise as both he and the ox grew, until he was finally carrying a full-grown ox. Milo is said to have carried an ox on his shoulders through the stadium at Olympia.
  • Milo would clasp a pomegranate in his hand and challenge others try to take it away from him. Although he was holding it so tightly that no one could remove it, he never damaged the fruit.
  • He would stand on a greased iron disk and challenge others to push him off. They couldn’t.
  • He would tie a cord around his forehead, and break the cord using only his bulging forehead muscles.
  • He would stand with his right arm at his side, his elbow against his side, and hold out his hand with thumb pointed upwards and fingers spread. No challenger could bend even his little finger.
  • Milo was a follower of Pythagoras, and one day the roof of the hall where the Pythagoreans were meeting started to collapse. Milo supported the central pillar until the others had escaped, and then ran out himself, letting the building collapse behind him.
  • Milo also spent a brief time as a warrior; when a neighboring town attacked Croton, he led the battle dressed like Hercules, and wearing his Olympic crowns. His team won, of course.

He was defeated for the first time at the 67th Olympic games (512 BCE), when he was over forty. The story is that Milo’s challenger didn’t even try to overpower him, but danced around, avoiding the older wrestler until Milo’s stamina gave out.

In the end, his strength was his downfall. Milo was (so the story goes,) walking in the forest one day when he came upon a tree of which the trunk had been split, but not felled, by a woodsman. Milo decided to try his strength by forcing the halves of the tree apart; he managed to force them apart just enough to get his hand (or perhaps both hands) trapped between the halves. When night fell, wild beasts devoured him.


It is no great thing to possess strength, whatever kind it is, but to use it as one should. For of what advantage to Milo of Kroton was his enormous strength of body?
--Diodorus Siculus, Historical Library

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.