European "slang" term for a portable phone.

see mobile phone or cellular phone

A mobile is a collection of abstract shapes that move because of air and wind. They can sometimes be found hanging above a baby's crib. They were invented by Alexander Calder.

On a MUD, a mobile is an NPC, a Non-Player Character.

Mobiles, usually called mobs can be monsters to kill, sages who give you quests, shopkeepers, trainers, any kind of creature you might interact with. Mobs are essentially little programs that compile into a text phrase which describes the creature and its equipment. Mobs may have code strings called mob_progs which will allow the mob to interact with the player in a number of ways, depending on variables such as the player level, race, alignment, tribe, size and health, among others. Some mob_progs are text activated, and require the player to speak a certain phrase or give a certain item to the mob in order to activate the progam. Some mobs become so intrinsic to the character of the MUD that they are treated almost as players, being a part of the folklore and feel of the mud. Sometimes they are even invited to parties!

These comments relate most specifically to Mirkwood MUD, mirkwood.serverstation.com port 4000. I'm Sard Rocklifter over there.

Mo"bile (?), a. [L. mobilis, for movibilis, fr. movere to move: cf. F. mobile. See Move.]

1.

Capable of being moved; not fixed in place or condition; movable.

"Fixed or else mobile."

Skelton.

2.

Characterized by an extreme degree of fluidity; moving or flowing with great freedom; as, benzine and mercury are mobile liquids; -- opposed to viscous, viscoidal, or oily.

3.

Easily moved in feeling, purpose, or direction; excitable; changeable; fickle.

Testament of Love.

The quick and mobile curiosity of her disposition. Hawthorne.

4.

Changing in appearance and expression under the influence of the mind; as, mobile features.

5. Physiol.

Capable of being moved, aroused, or excited; capable of spontaneous movement.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mo"bile (?), n. [L. mobile vulgus. See Mobile, a., and cf. 3d Mob.]

The mob; the populace.

[Obs.] "The unthinking mobile."

South.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.