An interesting bit of information: the word "Magpie" is where we get the word pie! No, really - originally the bird was called "pie" in Old English, and it was only later that certain nicknames of Margaret got added, such as Maggot-pie and eventually, Magpie. The reason we call the food item "pie" by that name is because, just like a Magpie's nest, pies contain many different things.

A slang word which refers to women; often in a base or sexual manner, and just as often refers to a woman's private parts. Most likely originates through men, from the general consensus that pie is one of the best things in the world, much like women.
Note phrases like "getting a slice", and "cutie pie".

Pie (?), n. [OE. pie, pye; cf. Ir. & Gael. pighe pie, also Gael. pige an earthen jar or pot. Cf. Piggin.]

1.

An article of food consisting of paste baked with something in it or under it; as, chicken pie; venison pie; mince pie; apple pie; pumpkin pie.

2.

See Camp, n., 5.

[Prov. Eng.]

Halliwell.

Pie crust, the paste of a pie. <-- easy as pie = very easy -->

 

© Webster 1913.


Pie, n. [F. pie, L. pica; cf. picus woodpecker, pingere to paint; the bird being perhaps named from its colors. Cf. Pi, Paint, Speight.]

1. Zool. (a)

A magpie.

(b)

Any other species of the genus Pica, and of several allied genera.

[Written also pye.]

2. R. C. Ch.

The service book.

3. Pritn.

Type confusedly mixed. See Pi.

By cock and pie, an adjuration equivalent to "by God and the service book." Shak. -- Tree pie Zool., any Asiatic bird of the genus Dendrocitta, allied to the magpie. -- Wood pie. Zool. See French pie, under French.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pie, v. t.

See Pi.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.