back when typewriters
like your old underwood
ruled the word i watched
you put those ribbons in and get
ink all over your fingers and
on the paper and all
where are those messy joys
speaking of old toujours gai herself
she passed through here last night
singing of antony
must be a new beaux
yr pal archie
A ribbon is also the term for the small beams that make up the floor of a theatrical grid (grid being short for gridiron.) They are typically a couple inches wide with an equal gap inbetween them.

Walking on a floor made of these that are 60 to 90 feet in the air takes a little getting used to

Rib"bon (?), n. [OE. riban, OF. riban, F. ruban, probably of German origin; cf. D. ringband collar, necklace, E. ring circle, and band.] [Written also riband, ribband.]

1.

A fillet or narrow woven fabric, commonly of silk, used for trimming some part of a woman's attire, for badges, and other decorative purposes.

2.

A narrow strip or shred; as, a steel or magnesium ribbon; sails torn to ribbons.

3. Shipbuilding

Same as Rib-band.

4. pl.

Driving reins.

[Cant]

London Athenaeum.

5. Her.

A bearing similar to the bend, but only one eighth as wide.

6. Spinning

A silver.

The blue ribbon, and The red ribbon, are phrases often used to designate the British orders of the Garter and of the Bath, respectively, the badges of which are suspended by ribbons of these colors. See Blue ribbon, under Blue.

Ribbon fish. Zool. (a) Any elongated, compressed, ribbon-shaped marine fish of the family Trachypteridae, especially the species of the genus Trachypterus, and the oarfish (Regelecus Banksii) of the North Atlantic, which is sometimes over twenty feet long. (b) The hairtail, or bladefish. (c) A small compressed marine fish of the genus Cepola, having a long, slender, tapering tail. The European species (C. rubescens) is light red throughout. Called also band fish. -- Ribbon grass Bot., a variety of reed canary grass having the leaves stripped with green and white; -- called also Lady's garters. See Reed grass, under Reed. -- Ribbon seal Zool., a North Pacific seal (Histriophoca fasciata). The adult male is dark brown, conspicuously banded and striped with yellowish white. -- Ribbon snake Zool., a common North American snake (Eutainia saurita). It is conspicuously striped with bright yellow and dark brown. -- Ribbon Society, a society in Ireland, founded in the early part of the 19th century in antagonism to the Orangemen. It afterwards became an organization of tennant farmers banded together to prevent eviction by landlords. It took its name from the green ribbon worn by members as a badge. -- Ribborn worm. Zool. (a) A tapeworm. (b) A nemertean.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rib"bon, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Ribboned (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Ribboning.]

To adorn with, or as with, ribbons; to mark with stripes resembling ribbons.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.