Sliding is the unauthorized discounting of merchandise at a register in any retail establishment. The most common form of sliding is simply the swiping of a product past the barcode reader without turning the barcoded side towards the reader, effectively keeping the product from being registered.

The practice of sliding can be observed with younger employees who are giving their friends "a hand". Sometimes for purposes of alcoholic beverage acquisition. Other examples would be employees who help out family members by reducing the price of items (faking coupons).

Sliding is considered illegal and can lead to discharge and/or criminal prosecution of an employee, especially when sliding is used to give minors access to alcoholic beverages.

Slid"ing (?), a.

1.

That slides or slips; gliding; moving smoothly.

2.

Slippery; elusory.

[Obs.]

That sliding science hath me made so bare. Chaucer.

Sliding friction Mech., the resistance one body meets with in sliding along the surface of another, as distinguished from rolling friction. -- Sliding gunter Naut., a topmast arranged with metallic fittings so as to be hoisted and lowered by means of halyards. -- Sliding keel Naut, a movable keel, similar to a centeboard. -- Sliding pair. Mech. See the Note under Pair, n., 7. -- Sliding rule. Same as Slide rule, under Slide, n. -- Sliding scale. (a) A scale for raising or lowering imposts in proportion to the fall or rise of prices. (b) A variable scale of wages or of prices. (c) A slide rule. -- Sliding ways Naut., the timber guides used in launching a vessel.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.