Stum"ble (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Stumbled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Stumbling (?).] [OE. stumblen, stomblen; freq. of a word akin to E. stammer. See Stammer.]

1.

To trip in walking or in moving in any way with the legs; to strike the foot so as to fall, or to endanger a fall; to stagger because of a false step.

There stumble steeds strong and down go all. Chaucer.

The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know at what they stumble. Prov. iv. 19.

2.

To walk in an unsteady or clumsy manner.

He stumbled up the dark avenue. Sir W. Scott.

3.

To fall into a crime or an error; to err.

He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion og stumbling in him. 1 John ii. 10.

4.

To strike or happen (upon a person or thing) without design; to fall or light by chance; -- with on, upon, or against.

Ovid stumbled, by some inadvertency, upon Livia in a bath. Dryden.

Forth as she waddled in the brake, A gray goose stumbled on a snake. C. Smart.

 

© Webster 1913.


Stum"ble, v. t.

1.

To cause to stumble or trip.

2.

Fig.: To mislead; to confound; to perplex; to cause to err or to fall.

False and dazzling fires to stumble men. Milton.

One thing more stumbles me in the very foundation of this hypothesis. Locke.

 

© Webster 1913.


Stum"ble, n.

1.

A trip in walking or running.

2.

A blunder; a failure; a fall from rectitude.

One stumble is enough to deface the character of an honorable life. L'Estrange.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.