Sus*pend" (?), v. i.
To hang from hooks inserted through the subcutaneous layers of the skin and fatty tissues via a temporary piercing. Also known as flesh hook suspension.
Use: Jane is going to suspend in front of the tattoo shop this evening.

There are quite a few methods of suspension, with the most popular as follows:
Superman: Hanging horizontally facing down with hooks in the back, thighs, and legs. Normally 10-16 hooks are used, depending on the weight of the person suspending.
Coma: Hanging horizontally facing upwards with hooks in the chest, upper thigh, arms and legs. Normally done with the head supported as well. Normally 10-16 hooks are used, depending on the weight of the person suspending.
Suicide: Vertical suspension with hooks in the upper back. Normally done with 4-8 hooks.
Oh-Kee-Pah: Vertical Suspension with 2 hooks in the chest. Very painful suspension since the weight of the entire body is hanging from 2 points.
Lotus: Done in a lotus (cross legged) position, with hooks in the upper chest and back, thighs, legs, and sometimes the arms as well. 10-20 hooks are normally used.
Crucifiction: Much like the suicide suspension, hooks are placed in the back and the arms, which are extended as if being crucified. 8-12 hooks are normally used.

Note: In the above list, the number of hooks used are based on the size (gauge) of the hooks, the weight of the person, the size of the person, and the level of pain tolerance of the person suspending.

To place a computer, usually a laptop computer, into a low-power mode. This involves spinning down the hard disks, stopping network connections, and sending the appropriate signal to all user programs. Also called Sleep mode or Standby. The advantage is that the computer can be "awakened" without having to go through an entire boot sequence, although many programs and operating systems have difficulty in certain situations. Unlike Hibernate mode, the system is still powered on, and as such still consumes battery power.

Also used when relating to programs: when a program is suspended, it will not process information or redraw the screen until it is signaled to continue using SIGCONT. In most Unix-like shells, Control-Z (^Z) will suspend the current foreground process.

Sus*pend" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Suspended; p. pr. & vb. n. Suspending.] [F. suspendre, or OF. souspendre (where the prefix is L. subtus below, from sub under), L. suspendere, suspensum; pref. sus- (see Sub-) + pendere to hang. See Pedant, and cf. Suspense, n.]

1.

To attach to something above; to hang; as, to suspend a ball by a thread; to suspend a needle by a loadstone.

2.

To make to depend; as, God hath suspended the promise of eternal life on the condition of obedience and holiness of life.

[Archaic]

Tillotson.

3.

To cause to cease for a time; to hinder from proceeding; to interrupt; to delay; to stay.

Suspend your indignation against my brother. Shak.

The guard nor fights nor fies; their fate so near At once suspends their courage and their fear. Denham.

4.

To hold in an undetermined or undecided state; as, to suspend one's judgment or opinion.

Locke.

5.

To debar, or cause to withdraw temporarily, from any privilege, from the execution of an office, from the enjoyment of income, etc.; as, to suspend a student from college; to suspend a member of a club.

Good men should not be suspended from the exercise of their ministry and deprived of their livelihood for ceremonies which are on all hands acknowledged indifferent. Bp. Sanderson.

6.

To cause to cease for a time from operation or effect; as, to suspend the habeas corpus act; to suspend the rules of a legislative body.

7. Chem.

To support in a liquid, as an insoluble powder, by stirring, to facilitate chemical action.

To suspend payment Com., to cease paying debts or obligations; to fail; -- said of a merchant, a bank, etc.

Syn. -- To hang; interrupt; delay; intermit; stay; hinder; debar.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sus*pend" (?), v. i.

To cease from operation or activity; esp., to stop payment, or be unable to meet obligations or engagements (said of a commercial firm or a bank).

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.