Sweet Tea  n. chiefly Amer. South.

Sweetened Iced Tea.

Geographical note:- You know you're in the South if you ask for Tea at a restaurant, and you are served Sweet Tea.


Old Fashioned Sweet Tea

Makes 1 gallon

Ingredients:

4-7 bags black tea

water

a heap of sugar

Directions:

Boil tea bags in about 2 cups or so of water, for about 5 minutes or less if you'd rather. Pour a heap of sugar in a gallon pitcher. The more sugar you use, the sweeter the tea will be. Pour hot tea on top of the sugar. Stir. Add more water, until the pitcher is full. Stir. Chill. Serve in a glass, over ice.


This writeup has been infected with the Everything Writeup Virus. Please copy this text into the bottom of all your writeups from now on. Thank you and good-night.

The thing that sucks, at least from the prospective of a southerner is that you can't even get it in a lot of restaurants up North. I can get either at the Folks restaurant down the street, but this ambrosia is denied me when I visit Rochester, or some other equally so-brutally-cold-no-sane-human-would-ever-want-to-live-here place.

As a counterpart to this, you know you're in the North if you're handed unsweetened tea and a sugar packet when you ask for sweet tea.

A true Southerner would rather die than call that sweet tea. The whole point of sweet tea is hypersaturation -- dissolving more sugar in the tea than is possible at the given iced (cold) temperature, by doing the dissolution with hot tea. Some Southerners will claim that sweet tea isn't sweet enough if it isn't chunky.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.