Chinese triads

The Chinese version of organized crime, similar to the Italian Mafia and the Japanese yakuza. Strange enough, the roots of these organizations can be traced back the Boxer Rebellion in the Qing Dynasty where Chinese rebels rose against the whites who were selling them opium, poisoning the nation.

However, from good origins they descened into evil. Just like all organized crime, the triads are ruthless in their pursuit of power, but even more importantly, money.

Chinese triad fights typically do not use guns, instead they wield machetes known as "choppers" that can inflict horrible maiming injuries to the victims without killing them. Triad gangsters are often glorified in Chinese films, and I find this horribly wrong. Organized crime are an evil entities, and they will stop at nothing to achieve their own ends.

Among the worst things the triads have committed in the recent years is the slave trade. They ship unknowing villagers from China to America, for they believe there is a better future there. Since most of them cannot afford the entire "fee", they are held prisoner until their families at home can pay their exorbitant demands. Innocents have been mutilated and killed due to this.

(Musical) - A triad is three notes that comprise a chord. The notes are separated by a third. Thus, it is the first, third and fifth notes of the respective scale. There are four types of triad: major, minor, diminished and augmented.

The major triad consists of the first, third and fifth notes of a major scale, for example in C, these would be C, E and G. Thus C, E, G is a C major triad. The interval from C to E is a major third (two tones), and from E to G a minor third (one and a half tones). Similarly, an E major triad is E, G#, B.

A minor triad consists of the first, third and fifth notes of the minor scale. An A minor triad, for example, is A, C, E. The interval between A and C is a minor third, and between C and E - a major third.

The dimished triad is similar to the minor triad, but with the fifth lowered a half tone. So the intervals are now a minor third between the first and third and a minor third between the third and fifth. For example, an A diminished triad is A, C, Eb.

An augmented triad is like a major triad, but with the fifth raised a semitone (half a tone). Thus between the third and fifth we now have a major third. For example, C, E, G# constitutes an augmented triad.

Although I said there are four types of triad, there is also a fifth. A sus4 triad. Not all musicians consider this to be a triad, as it's not thirds one on top of another, but some will consider it, as it is a basic chord comprised of three notes that is not one of the other four. So you can choose whether you wish there to be 4 or 5 triads. Whatever makes you happy. In any case, a sus4 triad is a fourth followed by a major second. If you wish, it is a major or minor triad with the fourth instead of the third. So a Csus4 triad is C, F, G.

Some people consider a sus2 to be a triad too, but it isn't really. It's just an inversion of sus4. So Fsus2 is F, G, C, which as you can see is the same notes as Csus4 (so you could write it Csus4/F).

Summary:
Triad        | Intervals                    | Example
-------------------------------------------------------
             |                              |
Major        | major third, minor third     | C E G
             |                              |
Minor        | minor third, major third     | C Eb G
             |                              |
Diminished   | minor third, minor third     | C Eb Gb
             |                              |
Augmented    | major third, major third     | C E G#
             |                              |
Sus4         | perfect fourth, major second | C F G
-------------------------------------------------------

In terms of polyamory, a relationship in which three people are each involved with both of the others.

For example:
X is in love with Y and Z
Y is in love with X and Z
and Z is in love with both X and Y.

Not to be confused with a vee.

Organized crime figures in China and Hong Kong are generally referred to as triads. The origins of triad societies have been linked to secret societies that were formed back in 17th-century China during the Qing Dynasty, which was established by the controlling Manchus.

These groups were dedicated to overthrowing the Manchus and didn't succeed until 1911 when Dr. Sun Yat-Sen led the overthrow of the ruling empire. However, at the point, what was once a group dedicated to nationalistic ideals had degenerated into an underground criminal society, with ties to drug and arms trafficking, extortion, counterfeiting, prostitution, and money laundering.

There are somewhere around 75 triad societies existing in Hong Kong alone but only about a dozen or so are actually involved in heavy illegal activities. Most are "clubs" centered around a family name (ie. Chans, Wongs, Ngs, etc) but even these dabble in some illegal activities, mostly money laundering and pyramid schemes. Due to the harsh crackdown by the Chinese government, most of the hardcore triad members have fled to North America or Australia.

In Hong Kong, it is no secret that the entertainment industry is under the thumb of the triads, who usually extort protection money from productions. Recently, the American production of "Rush Hour 2", parts of which are being filmed in Hong Kong experienced the problem first hand when triad members came in and made threats, only to be arrested later on.

In the world of adoption, triad is a term referring to


Most triads are broken, generally along the adoptee to birth parents axis.

Track 12 on Tool's 2001 album Lateralus. The third song of a three-part epic. See Disposition and Reflection.

This song, like the other two in the trilogy, features at least one Indian instrument; in this case, the shehnai.

An instrumental piece, this song is nonetheless a fullfilling resolution to the themes encountered on the previous two tracks. Intense, pounding guitars and distorted screaming make up the bulk of the song. Around four minutes in the guitars are forced into the background and the track becomes much quieter. As the track continues, it almost seems as though the violent guitars are trying to fight their way back into the center, until they finally break through in a stunning climax. That's about the midpoint of the song.

This is some seriously good shit. Especially live.

Tri"ad (?), n. [L.trias, -adis, Gr. , , fr., , three: cf. F. triade. See Three, and cf. Trias, Trio.]

1.

A union of three; three objects treated as one; a ternary; a trinity; as, a triad of deities.

2. Mus. (a)

A chord of three notes.

(b)

The common chord, consisting of a tone with its third and fifth, with or without the octave.

3. Chem.

An element or radical whose valence is three.

Triads of the Welsh bards, poetical histories, in which the facts recorded are grouped by threes, three things or circumstances of a kind being mentioned together. -- Hindoo triad. See Trimurti.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.