Summarised from: http://www.glaxowellcome.co.uk/fighting/medicines/mn_ventolin.html

Ventolin (also known as salbutamol) is used to dilate the bronchial passages in the lungs, thus relieving a common symptom of Asthma.

Developed at Allen and Hanburys in 1968 and released in the UK in 1969 and the US in 1982 by Glaxo Wellcome, Ventolin is available in a variety of formulations:

  • Inhaler - The most common treatment for Asthmatic adults, this pressurised container delivers either 100, 200 or 400 micrograms of Salbutamol per puff.
  • Rotacaps - More common with children as the medicine is released when the child breathes in. This means that the child does not need to coordinate his or her breathing with the activation of an Inhaler.
  • Diskhaler
  • Tablets
  • Syrup
  • Injection
  • Infusion
  • Nebules

Ventolin is a selective short acting beta2 agonist that acts on the beta2 adrenoceptors in your lungs. It is most often used (at least by me :) for an "instant fix" relief of wheezing or trouble breathing.

Ventolin is a kickass bronchiodilator that I owe my ability to participate in sports to. It is also a gleefully cacophonous Aphex Twin song. Don't rely too heavily on it (the inhaler, not the song) because as previously stated, it is a "quick fix" and if you are not also taking other drugs you can have a sudden asthma attack in your sleep and die.

Ventolin was released by Aphex Twin (Richard D. James) in 1995 by Warp Records as catalog number WAP60. The tracklist is as follows:

  1. Ventolin (Salbutamol Mix) (5:44)
  2. Ventolin (Praze-an-beeble Mix) (3:22)
  3. Ventolin (Marazanvose Mix) (2:10)
  4. Ventolin (Plain-an-Gwarry Mix) (4:42)
  5. Ventolin (The Coppice Mix) (4:37)
  6. Ventolin (Crowsmengegus Mix) (5:14)
    6a: Respect List (:39)
  7. Ventolin (Wheeze Mix) (7:07)
  8. Ventolin (Carharrack Mix) (2:49)
  9. Ventolin (Probus Mix) (4:13)
  10. Ventolin (Cylob Mix) (5:02)
  11. Ventolin (Deep Gong Mix) (6:17)
  12. Ventolin (Asthma Beats Mix) (1:40)

The reason Aphex Twin released this CD was supposedly that he was trying to convey the feeling of an asthma attack (he suffers from asthma himself). The record is an excellent work in a claustrophobic and menacing way. For example, the loud tone starting the first track is supposed to be the frequency you hear when you take too much Salbutamol.

Even though all the tracks on this EP are called Mixes, they aren't remotely alike, except for the Salbutamol and Wheeze Mixes. This is a classic example of Rich playing games with the norms and standards in music.

The cover art of the EP itself features a Salbutamol container, weird schematics and some strange scribblings, as well as a skull and a gas mask. The remixes cover art features a drawing of the neck/shoulder area of a male adult, showing the muscles under the skin, as well as more odd scribblings. It is designed by Dan Parks and (like many other Warp Records releases) The Designers Republic.

Aside from a single CD, it was also released as double-7" and double-CD.

Audited July 2, 2002, Sources: AFXFAQ, actual CDs.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.