Riffing off of the idea of the Web, weave strikes one as both a thing and a process. The idea of hypertext brings to mind linked pieces, but the reader also brings the links together with choices. What ends up crystalizing is the weave of the participatory I through spaces of clickables and the left over weave that those clicks create.

When you knit chainmail, you are creating a weave of a specific pattern, like European four-in-one, Japanese six-in-one, boxchain, or birdcage, to name a few. New weaves can be invented, but tend to be sporadic occurences. At least one person has tried to patent their new weave; I think it is called orchid. This is seen as rather stupid and pointless by the rest of the chainmail community - chainmaillers tend to share everything they know.

Weave (?), v. t. [imp. Wove (?); p. p. Woven (?), Wove; p. pr. & vb. n. Weaving. The regular imp. & p. p. Weaved (), is rarely used.] [OE. weven, AS. wefan; akin to D. weven, G. weben, OHG. weban, Icel. vefa, Sw. vafva, Dan. vaeve, Gr. , v., web, Skr. ravabhi spider, lit., wool weaver. Cf. Waper, Waffle, Web, Weevil, Weft, Woof.]

1.

To unite, as threads of any kind, in such a manner as to form a texture; to entwine or interlace into a fabric; as, to weave wool, silk, etc.; hence, to unite by close connection or intermixture; to unite intimately.

This weaves itself, perforce, into my business. Shak.

That in their green shops weave the smooth-haired silk To deck her sons. Milton.

And for these words, thus woven into song. Byron.

2.

To form, as cloth, by interlacing threads; to compose, as a texture of any kind, by putting together textile materials; as, to weave broadcloth; to weave a carpet; hence, to form into a fabric; to compose; to fabricate; as, to weave the plot of a story.

When she weaved the sleided silk. Shak.

Her starry wreaths the virgin jasmin weaves. Ld. Lytton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Weave, v. i.

1.

To practice weaving; to work with a loom.

2.

To become woven or interwoven.

 

© Webster 1913.


Weave, n.

A particular method or pattern of weaving; as, the cassimere weave.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.