I was a national level competitor in MathCounts in 7th grade. I was one of the four Maine Team members, along with three 8th graders, one of whom was freakishly good at math. His dad was the team coach.

Between the state finals and the national meet, I had to go up to Presque Isle (a town waaay up in the north of the state) one morning to attend an all-day practice session of sorts. I lived through it.

The national meet itself was held in Washington, DC. We flew down there and stayed in a four-star hotel for the three days of the meet weekend, all expenses paid by MathCounts. It was fairly uneventful, except that the kid who was freakishly good at math pretty much spent the three days throwing things out the window, punching holes in the wall, breaking things, etc.

Finally we actually the math bit. I did OK -- I probably could have done better if I hadn't stayed up most of the night watching HBO, but I've never had cable at home, so the temptation was too great (I also wasn't allowed to watch R movies at the time.. don't tell my parents!) Also, being vegetarian, food was questionably plentifully but I digress. The freaky-good math kid got 7th overall, if I recall correctly.

Everyone who got to the national level also received a TI-92, which is an extremely sweet graphing calculator (with a little QWERTY keyboard)! It has been a valuable asset in the numerous math related circumstances I frequently find myself in.

I consider it pretty sweet that I got an all expenses paid trip to our nation's capital, AND a neat techno toy just for knowing a little math. Plus, every time you pull out the TI-92 you get to tell the story (often this is in the form of "Woah! How much did that thing cost?!" "I got it for free, cause I'm such a l33t math hax0r!...").