Members of the turtle tribe
information from the NES Super Mario Bros. 3 instruction booklet



Bowser
Boss of World 8, Dark Land



Bowser's kids

Larry Koopa
Boss of World 1, Grass Land

Morton Koopa Jr.
Boss of World 2, Desert Land

Wendy O. Koopa
Boss of World 3, Water Land

Iggy Koopa
Boss of World 4, Giant Land

Roy Koopa
Boss of World 5, Sky Land

Lemmy Koopa
Boss of World 6, Ice Land

Ludwig Von Koopa
Boss of World 7, Pipe Land



Enemies above ground

Para-Goomba
A new flying version of an old familiar enemy. Once you jump on it, it loses its wings.

Micro-Goombas
These are Para-Goomba's children that will cling to Mario. Pressing the A Button rapidly is the only way to get them off of Mario.

Para-Beetles
Mario can ride on top of these flying beetles.

Firesnake
A moving chain of fireballs that can pass through many things to get to Mario.

Fire Chomp
A black ball followed by a chain of fire that shoots fireballs at Mario. Look out! They can explode!

Chain Chomp
Although tied to a block by a chain, Chain Chomp is quite a tough enemy. Only invincible Mario is able to defeat him.



Enemies in the Water

Bloober with kids
Bloober swims underwater with its children. It has a relative, the Scattering Bloober, whose children scatter in all directions.

Cheep-cheep
Swimming in the sea, this thorny fish will try to block Mario's path.

Jelectro
This electric jellyfish may sit still anywhere in the sea to get in Mario's way. They are invincible!

Lava Lotus
An artificial flower that grows and blooms deep in the sea. Look out for the lava balls that it will release.



Enemies underground

Buzzy Beetle
He's back again. This time he can walk on the ceiling.

Spike
Spike is usually easy going. But once he sees Mario he starts throwing spiked balls at him. Spike occasionally appears above ground too.

Bob-omb
As long as he's walking, Bob-omb seems cute. Be very careful when he starts to flash. He will explode destroying everything around him.



Enemy in an Airship

Rocky Wrench
Rocky is a turtle who kind of looks like a mole. He will suddenly appear and start to throw wrenches at Mario.



Enemies in the Fortress

Thwomp
If Mario comes close, Thwomp will try to crush him. Since Thwomp is covered with thorns, Mario can't touch him.

Rotodisc
Spins around making maneuvers difficult for Mario.

"Boo" Diddly
Boo is too shy to look anyone in the face. But when you turn around...

Hot Foot
Usually, Hot Foot stays on a burning candle. If Mario gets close, Hot Foot will start to chase him.

Dry Bones
A mummified turtle? No matter how many times you jump on it, it'll come back to life.

Stretch
A ghost that hides under the floor waiting for anyone to come along.



The Boss of the Mini-Fortresses

Boom Boom
This is the boss that controls the Mini-Fortresses. Boom Boom hurls himself at Mario with his arms swinging. Mario needs to jump on Boom Boom 3 times to defeat him. Be careful though, Boom Boom gets quicker every time he gets jumped on.



The Pirana Plants

Venus Fire Trap
This pirana plant emits fireballs. They come in different sizes and are very dangerous.

Ptooie
These flowers blow out spiked balls from their mouths. There are walking ones as well as ones that live in pipes.

Walking Piranas
These small flowers jump up when Mario gets close. Some of them can move around.

Munchers
Munchers wait quietly for Mario. They are invincible, no attacks can hurt them.



Hammer Brothers

Boomerang Brothers
They have boomerangs instead of hammers. They can throw two boomerangs at once.

Fire Brothers
These guys shoot balls of fire at Mario.

Sledge Brothers
The Sledge Brothers shake the earth when they jump. They also throw hammers. Try to jump up when the Sledge Brothers hit the ground. If you don't, Mario will lose his footing.