Famous sitarist who introduced India's classical music to the rest of the world.

He founded India's National Orchestra, Vadya Vrinda, composed music for ballet, toured Europe, Japan, and America, performed with Yehudi Menuhin (who said of him "his genius and his humanity can only be compared to that of Mozart's"), created many award-winning film soundtracks, taught John Coltrane, and composed music for Buddy Rich. All of this he accomplished before 1966, when he met George Harrison, and began his rise to true fame.

Since then, he has appeared at the legendary Monterrey Pop and Woodstock Music Festivals, won Grammy Awards, been nominated for an Oscar (for the film Ghandi), and performed with such luminaries as Andre Previn's London Philharmonic, Zubin Metha's New York Philharmonic, and noted flautist Jean-Pierre Rampal.

Oh yeah, there was also that thing with the Beatles, and later George Harrison, and the Concert for Bangladesh, but all that was just a blip in the career of this giant.

If there were a contest for the greatest musician in all of History, he would have to be a contender.

Editor's note: Ravi Shankar died on December 11, 2012 at the age of 92. At the time he was suffering from upper respiratory and heart-related issues.