This is an interesting idea tackled in Greg Bear's book The Forge of God.

I(also)ANAP, but Bear's description is quite illuminating. Aliens who don't like us throw a micro-black hole at the Earth. The people who see it arrive get a pretty awful dose of radiation. The black hole manages to pass through the Earth almost frictionlessly, so it settles into a nice regular orbit inside earth.

This becomes noticable to us earthlings as an increase in earth tremors. Current seismological technology allows us to estimate not only the position, but the depth of earthquakes. So with a bit of work, international teams of geologists manage to track the motion of the black hole by correlating vibrations (a kind of solid-medium sonar). That's when we figure out what they hit us with.

The first large-scale effects are an increase in intensity of earthquakes and tsunami. In Bear's book, it is eventually the vibrations of the oscillating black hole that destroy the earth*, not simply loss of matter. IIRC, this takes two weeks, not a matter of seconds.

On a side note: I found reading this book unusually exciting because it fell apart. For the most part I was reading a big bundle of pages that had fallen from somewhere in the middle of the book. This meant that I had no idea how long the book was until I finished the loose bit - I really had no idea what the ending might be, because I couldn't guess how many pages the author had to wrap the story up.

* or maybe they don't, I'm not going to spoil it for you : )