Delightful night yesterday. Good news all around.

UNM Anime Club, in which I serve as Secretary, had its first meeting last night.

The turn out was 63 people meaning that while our pizza bill was rather high (free pizza to everyone who showed up) we did much better than expect in recruitment department.

We advertise via fliers around campus and we had a booth by the University's duck pond all week (draped in wall-scrolls and various other anime related things).

Sixty-three is a significant number. If we retain even half of the people who showed up last night, we will be one of the largest student organizations on campus. Much larger than most of the fraternities and sororities.

Go us.

In other news on the BookReader front, my new fingerspelling class is intimidating as All-Hell. The Sign Language lab on campus is a line of cubicles lining the wall, with Mac machines fitted with cameras so you can view yourself on a slight delay as you sign. It's a little unnerving, but also interesting as you can watch your eyes move about, something that is almost impossible to do in a mirror. I don't remember half of the lab introduction last week because I was busy making faces at the screen. Each station also has a VHS/DVD player/recorder. We record our signing and look for mistakes. My main problem is uneven speed. Particularly when I fingerspell, I start out slow and get faster and faster until I'm tripping over my own fingers. There's so much wrong with my signing at this point that I sometimes despair. My skill seems to be directly related to how confident I am, as I am completely unable to sign correctly to actual deaf people or my teacher but am quite verbose when signing to other students or friends. On the plus side, I am getting better. My comprehension is up and my letters are clear. I could be a lot worse, but I'm not and I find sign fascinating so this isn't something I'm going to drop after I get my needed language credits.

I'm perfectly happy today as I have chocolate-chip pancakes. If you are not perfectly happy I recommend you make some.

That is all. Have a great week, everyone.