Super Mario World was the first video game that I ever owned. I consider it to be one of the best games ever, though I'm sure that has a lot to with it being the first game I ever played much. I actually hurt my thumb and couldn't play SNES for a day because of how much I played this game when I first got it.

Like other Mario games, Super Mario World has 8 castles with a boss koopa defending each. Each castle has its own "world", where the levels are of similar types. There are 5 types of boss koopas in the game (all of which are fairly simple to beat), with 2 bosses having each of the 3 types, 1 unique normal boss, and the final boss, Bowser.

One unique (though not necessarily good) feature of Super Mario World is that it allows you to skip almost the entire game and go to the Bowser, the final boss, after beating just a few levels by traveling through the secret Star Road. It was designed to make traveling across the entire world faster, but it also makes the game very simple to beat. I beat the game like that the first time, and did not go back and beat it the normal way for several years. There is also an interesting secret about Star Road.

Besides having better graphics than its predecessors, Super Mario World added Yoshi to Mario games. You first find Yoshi in an egg near the beginning of the game, and you can ride him. Yoshi can jump on many bad guys that Mario can not, and he can also swallow bad guys by grabbing them with his very long tongue. Also, Yoshi can temporarily gain special abilities by holding koopa shells of different colors in his mouth: blue makes him grow wings and fly, red lets him shoot 3 fireballs out of his mouth, and yellow makes him hit bad guys that he lands next to when he jumps. There are also blue, yellow, and red Yoshi's that treat all shells as if they were the color of the Yoshi.

Ghost houses are also a fun part of this game. Ghosts are impossible to kill, but can be bounced on by using the spin jump. The most common type of ghost will slowly move towards Mario when he isn't facing the ghost, and will stop moving when Mario looks at it. This actually looks really funny for some reason. Most of the hardest and most confusing levels in the game are ghost houses.

Though Super Mario World may not have been very original or graphically amazing, I had much more fun playing it and other old console games than all the new 3D stuff which is almost all crap that's just designed to look good.