"Welcome to Silent Hill!
Silent Hill, a quiet little lakeside resort town. We're happy to have you. Take some time out of your busy schedules and enjoy a nice restful vacation here.
Row after row of quaint old houses, a gorgeous mountain landscape, and a lake which shows different sides of it beauty with the passing of the day, from sunrise to late afternoons to sunset. Silent Hill will move you and fill you with a deep feeling of peace. I hope your time here will be pleasant and your memories will last forever."
Roger Widmark, Editor - Silent Hill travel brochure.

"There are violent and disturbing images in this town."

Name: Silent Hill.
Location: Unspecified part of middle America.
Area: Unknown (due to a certain geographical... Malleability.)
Population: About five or six at any one time.
Exactly how many of the citizens are purely imaginary is unknown.

Interesting features: Two Hospitals, one in the main town, another in the "flourishing" lakeside tourist resort. A theme park, Midwich Elementary school, a thick fog, dimensional instability, supplies of shotgun ammo lying on street corners, and an enormous, triangle headed, blood soaked butcher who drags behind him a five foot knife.

Isolated, forbidding, and deranged. Much of Silent Hill appears to be built upon reclaimed swamp land, and ancient sacred places. It has a dark past that the tourist brochures just seem to gloss over. In fact, dark maybe something of an understatement...

Demon worship, human sacrifice, and general unpleasantness abound, not to mention the monsters. The best way to find out about Silent Hill is to speak to those who have experienced its remarkable atmosphere. I remember my first visit to Silent Hill. The eerie flapping noises in the fog, the darkness that fell so quickly, Midwich school, the feel of a cold iron bar in my hand. I still have not recovered from my second visit, defined mainly by the sound of a knife dragging down a steel corridor. Despite the shaking of my hands, and the cold sweats, I still look forward to my third visit. Visiting Silent Hill has made me look deep inside myself and find something dark and disturbing sitting there grinning back at me.

In short, if you have: or all of the above, stay away from Silent Hill.