It's amazing how something simple(?) like music can be so fulfilling...

There was a time when I was passing through a very difficult time of my life, trying to survive work, study (was working on my B.S. in computer science), and crumbling social life filled with emotional stress...

I still recall the state of emotional breakdown I was getting to. Damn, I still have ruined teeth tops just from the stress state I was. There were a few of mornings I took up to 15 min trying to relax the jaw muscles with exercises. Yup, that's right, a locked jaw.

When I discovered Cowboy Junkies' songs years ago, the soothing voice of Margo Timmins really served me right. I would spend the few glimpses of free time relaxing with these sad songs spoken with such delicate perfection.

I think their latest works really are the ones that touched me more deeply. Albums like Lay It Down and Open have songs with strong words, and even deeper meanings. I still recall listening to Open a few times, and wondering why it did sound sadder and sadder each time, yet giving me strength to carry on...

I don't sleep most nights,

just lie awake and count my blessings,

I'll take this endless life of perfect pointless mornings.

I'll hold you till the morning comes

'cause it's all that I can do.

I'm so open

I'm so open

I don't like these last goodbyes

I don't like goodbyes.

-- "I'm So Open", from Open (2001)