Recently our anti-hero DP went back to the Weapon X program despite having major reservations about the whole deal.

They offered him a full-strength healing factor that'd stop him looking like crap (literally), as well as messing with his mind some more - see the whole Deadpool: Agent Of Weapon X storyline.

However, this whole storyarc was largely used as a prelude to December 2001's 'Nuff Said issue - Marvel correctly reasoned that the only way to get Deadpool to shut up for a whole issue was to kill him off. Which they did. For just one issue. Well, I thought it was funny.

Anyway, after that there was another mini-storyarc where DP's healing factor was kicked in big-time by T-Ray, he was reanimated without his memory, and several other aspects of his personality became characters in their own right. Frankly the whole Funeral For A Freak story kinda sucked.

But since that finished (issue #65 onwards) things have been excellent - great writing (from Gail Simone) and excellent art (Udon Studios). DP is very funny once again, and as Samus and mblase have suggested, he's kinda like a hyped-up Spidey. Buy this comic!

---------------------

Update - 13/06/2002
mblase has very kindly just reminded me that the name of the comic is gonna be changing to Agent X any issue now, along with Cable (becoming Soldier X) and X-Force (becoming X-Statics); all worse names IMHO (esp. X-Statics). I hear these changes have been precipitated because Marvel don't wanna keep paying the creator of these titles, Rob Liefield, for use of the names.

The point of which is that if you're gonna buy the comic as I suggest, then you'll need to look out for the new name later this year.