Having bought and read Delphi for Dummies, C++ for Dummies and Java for Dummies, I think I'm beginning to see a pattern in how IDG1 names the books in their introductory programming series. I find this makes their book titles... boringly predictable. If there is ever a mainstream demand for an introductory text on programming in Sather, I'll bet they'll call it Sather for Dummies.

I'd like to start up my own series of programming books, but rather than create a cliché like IDG, I'd like to provide a unique derogatory title for each language. That way, people will be looking forward to each new publication, puzzling over what new insult will go with each new language. Here are my ideas2 for the first batch of titles:

____________________
Notes
  1. I realize that "XXX for Dummies" is an IDG trademark. I enjoy their books and don't wish to step on their toes or anyone else's. This is just a harmless little spoof.
  2. If you, dear reader, don't find this piece humorous, I hope you at least find it interesting to see how much of the alphabet space is covered both by programming languages and derogatives.
  3. You'll notice a number of "???"s in this list. There are some letters for which I find it hard to come up with a programming language or a mild derogative. Any help (by /msg) will be appreciated; your contribution(s) will be added to the list and attributed to you.
  4. Thanks to mkb
  5. Thanks to TallRoo
  6. Thanks to Toxick
  7. Thanks to Toxick, some more!
  8. Thanks to wertperch
  9. Thanks to seagulltheme
____________________
References
  • http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/