Another Nail was the follow up to the Justice League book "The Nail", which tells a story of an alternative history (or elseworlds) where baby Superman never got adopted by the Kent family. It was published as a collection after being a three issue limited series. It was written by Alan Davis and illustrated by Alan Davis and Mark Farmer.

The original series "The Nail" was based upon the premise that Superman was not in the Justice League of America. This series takes place in the same timeline as that, but Superman has now joined the JLA, so the title is not very descriptive. This book begins with New Genesis and Apokolips waging war, a war that soon draws in the Green Lantern Corps. The war comes to an end...but a small series of events on Earth seem to show that the war was not quite as finished as it seemed to be. Events start snowballing on many levels of the DC Universe, from the mundane to the magical to the far reaches of the galaxy. More and more members of the DC universe start putting in appearences, until finally a reality-threatening crisis appears, which is solved in the last few pages, leaving everyone more or less happy.

For those of you who are frequent readers of comics, and of the JLA comics in particular, this might sound familiar. Stories in which small hints of trouble quickly boil into a cosmos threatening event, which is solved during a climax through the help of various guest stars, were first pioneered in the early Silver Age Crisis on Multiple Earths, and were used widely until reaching ridiculous (but awesome) heights during the Crisis on Infinite Earths and Zero Hour stories. Grant Morrison's JLA story arcs were both a parody and the most well done form of this type of story. So people familiar with JLA stories will find "Another Nail" to be almost a textbook example of how Justice League stories are put together.

The art in the book is also well done. The artists do a good job of displaying the different moods of the DC Universe: from Batman's gritty Gotham scenery to cosmic starscapes. The artists also seem to know how to draw the distinctive likenesses of almost every character in the DC universe: almost every one of DC's 100 or so most major characters are in the book. And, as is fitting for the book's dramatic tone, there are well over a dozen full page illustrations, as well as several double page illustrations.

I would give this book mixed reviews overall. The story and the art and the characterizations were, like I said, almost a textbook example of how Justice League stories are written. But I also think that if a comic book creator is given the creative control over a miniseries or graphic novel, they should use it to write something different. To me, it should begin with a question or premise: either something to suit fanboy curiosity, such as "What if Wonder Woman became a Green Lantern?", or something too risky to deal with in a normal comic, such as "What would it be like to be a low level street criminal who is brutally beaten by Batman?". The story that came before this, "The Nail", was based on the question of what the Justice League of America would be like without Superman. This story, while very readable and entertaining, doesn't seem to have any basic premise behind it. In short, if this is the type of thing you like, you will like it, but if not, it might not be worth reading.