6 Hours

If you had only 6 hours to spend with someone you've known forever - six hours that may well determine whether you spend the rest of your lives together - what would you do? 1PM till 7PM, then she's gone; maybe for a month, maybe a week, maybe forever - you don't know. 6 hours.

During that quarter of a day, do you try and cram as much fun in as possible? Do you act the way you always have and let the last 6 hours be like any other 6? Do you buy her all the little things you've always wanted to buy her, but didn't for some reason or another, even though you know she'll love you whether you do or not? Do you do your best to show him all the ways you love him, even though he already knows?

He's always known.

Do you kiss him goodbye, even though a simple hug makes you want to run away in tears? Do you wait for him to call you or do you call him? Do you try and live your life without her, attempting to remain distracted from the void in your bed, your couch, your home, until she returns? When she calls, do you sound surprised? Thrilled? Nonchalant? Do you tell her you love her?

Do you worry about the psychiatrist? Do you pray the doctor doesn't tell her your relationship is hurting her, that it's against her best interest to see you or are you capable of remembering that you're the one healthy source of human contact in her life and simply realize she's getting the help she so desperately needs? Can you separate your wildly fluctuating emotions from the situation and see the departure for all its necessity? Can you keep from crying yourself to sleep at night, or falling down in the shower, using the running water to mask your own sobs?

6 Hours

If you had only 6 hours to spend with someone you've known forever - six hours that may well determine whether you spend the rest of your lives together - what would you do?