The recipe above is very good, but a lot of classic toffee contains both chocolate and finely chopped nuts as well.

Note: Margarine will not work in this recipe.

One tablespoon of corn syrup can also be added. As far as I understand it the crystal structure of the syrup provides a form for the sugar to follow, please correct me if I'm wrong. Get the nuts together and spread them evenly over the bottom of a shallow baking sheet.

Stir the butter and sugar in together over medium heat and find a timer or watch the clock. As soon as it starts to boil time it at 7 minutes. You can also use a thermometer to follow the temperature if you're not sure. Allow more than once chance to get this right if you're doing it for the first time. You may turn the heat up if the proper temperature isn't reached.

Cook until 295 degrees or brittle hard crack stage. You can also measure this by getting a glass of ice cold water and drizzling a few drops into it. If you've never made candy before this might be difficult, but fish out the candy and break it. If it's the proper consistency as finished toffee is, you're set. (Eat a Skor bar if you're not sure what toffee is)

Now quickly pour the toffee onto the nuts and spread it evenly. You won't want to use a metal knife because of the high heat, use a spatula or something else. Top with the chocolate, it'll melt. Use the spatula to spread the chocolate evenly, then put the whole thing in the fridge, covered (make sure the covering doesn't touch the candy).

In a few hours you'll have fresh toffee, it's a great holiday favorite.