My alarm clock was babbling NPR at me--was there a report on Paris this morning that affected my dreaming? I don't know: I was asleep at the time!

I was in Paris, but instead of being laid out along the Champs Elysees, the city was set up in a weird Feng Shui diagram. The Eiffel Tower was at the center of a traffic circle, like the major monuments in Washington, D.C., and the Arc de Triomphe was straddling the northmost of the five arms. Now that I think about it, the traffic circle was really a big pentagram. Instead of the western ideal of four-fold square symmetry, this city was laid out in a fractal five-fingered star.

Anyhow, the Arc de Triomphe was lined up with the one in New York even though it was pointed north, so that the line that passed through both of them perpendicularly indicated a ley line. At the points of the circle, there were about two blocks' worth of long avenue leading up to the second tier (That's just how I thought of it, probably not its real name--I was on the phone with tech support last night, and got passed up to the second tier...). Each avenue ended in a four or five block diameter traffic circle, ringed with small residential apartments, no taller than two or three stories. Plenty of lawn, and all the houses on the outside of the traffic circle faced out; all the ones on the inside faced in, overlooking a giant circular hedge maze, at the center of which were cafes, commercial buildings like modern (but at the same time, ancient-looking) malls. The hedge maze also had statuary all throughout, as well as topiary, arranged to fit the five-fold symmetry. The houses at the five major points of the second tier circles were more prestigious looking.

Looking outward, one could see that the intervening space of the city was filled to the horizon with reproductions of this geometry on a smaller scale--clusters of five city blocks that wrapped into tight pentagons with a park and a fountain (and five garden paths) in the courtyard. The last thing I remember was looking up at the Eiffel Tower from a cafe, seeing it towering over the hedges and houses, and seeing a blue, pulsing river of energy pouring from it through the Arc de Triomphe, and thinking, "my, isn't Paris beautiful?" I guess I just plain forgot about the Seine. Then again, I've never been to Paris; maybe it's easy to forget.