A casino gambling game, played with one or more decks of playing cards. Between one and six (sometimes seven) players compete individually against a dealer who represents the House. The goal of each player is to create a hand worth more than the dealer's, but no more than 21.

Players sit along one side of a table, facing the dealer on the other side. Each has an area to place a bet and a place for their "cards". There are other features like the "insurance" area. Hint: Never take insurance at Blackjack, kiddies1.

Each player is dealt two (2) cards. The dealer is also dealt two cards, one face up, and the other face down. The cards are added to a total. All face cards count 10. The Ace cards count 1 or 11 at the player's option. The object is to come as close to 21 as possible without going over.

Starting with the player on the dealer's extreme left, each player may another card, or pass. If the cards add up to more than 21, the player is bust and loses immediately. The player may continue taking cards until he or she wishes to stop, or busts.

Each player in turn takes cards, the dealer going last. The dealer must stop as soon as the House hand totals 17 or more.

After the dealer finishes, everyone still in the game compares their hand to the dealer's. If the dealer busts they all win. Otherwise the players with a higher score win an amount equal to their bet - unless they have Blackjack. This is a two card hand totalling 21 - and Ace and a ten, jack, queen or king. a true "black jack" need not be present. this hand pays 3:2.

There are many special plays that increase the player's chances. There are tables which indicate which plays to make under all circumstances. And there are buxom and/or leggy ladies in skimpy outfits bringing free drinks. To deal with all these hazards, see one of many excellent books on the topic, and good luck to you!

1. It's a sucker bet, you win 33% of the time. For real insurance, consult the expert or see The Ballad of Dan.