Freedom is a wonderful thing.

Today for lunch I went out to eat, instead of staying inside and eating alone. It's cool outside, and promising rather than threatening rain. The wind is firm in its gusting, and cold, but not in an evil way...in more of a happy child running through the snow way.

I went to the Thai place just down the road...it always feels warm and welcoming inside, and the people whom work there are happy and friendly by choice and not by job description. It's a wonderful place, and Masu and I eat there often...often enough that they all know us on sight, now.

They welcomed me with hellos and how are yous as usual, and then smiled and asked where my friend was. I smiled and told them that she was at work, and that it was only me for lunch. They gave me a nice place by the window and didn't bother setting out the silverware or plates (don't need plates because they knew I'd get something that comes with its own plate)...just chopsticks, napkin and water. It made me feel good that they don't bother with the American utensils.

I ordered myself avocado maki and a combo lunch special of tofu ginger and pad Thai with a Sprite and miso soup on the side. On the sushi order sheet, as always, I wrote "No Wasabi, please ^_^" and the waiter giggled as he took my order. They know our peculiar tastes by now...no wasabi or hot sauce...no silverware...they're so wonderful there.

As I ate, I looked out the huge window I was seated in front of, watching people go by...watching the clouds promise and the winds throwing snowball-ish gusts at each other in play. I watched the restaurant across the street...Magnolia...and the outdoor porch above it, on the roof with its tall, upright bird feeder. I smiled, watching the tiny birds eating and fluttering and then scared off by the clumsy pigeons that struggled for balance on the feeder and never seemed to actually eat anything.

I took my time eating and didn't notice all the other people leaving to continue their lives until the last two people paid for their rice and chicken and left...and then I was the only customer in there. I listened as the waiter and waitress changed the loud, obnoxious American pop music into soothing Thai style melodies...and I loved it. I loved that they knew me well enough to play their own music with me there and not continue the blasphemous pop. It made me smile.

I paid for my bill a few minutes after and tipped 30%. The spoke to me as I left...made sure I liked my meal, which I loved, and I told them how I liked their music much better than the American stuff they played for everyone else...and this pleased them a great deal. They told me to say hello to Masu when I saw her, and we all laughed, and I promised I would...and then I left, happy to be alive, happy to live here, happy for love, and for freedom.

And before I forget...Hello, Masu, my love.